Is she ready

Big bloc

Is she ready

Post by Big bloc » Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

I have a 6 month old EP. She has been doing a lot of sight pointing and trash pointing. I have a launcher and pigeon. Is it time to get her on this.I guess what i am asking is what not to do. She has been around a starter pistol no problem. Should I card the pigeon or dizzy it. I know a lot can go wrong if not done right.Just wondering what others would do at this point in time. She always been on CC know basic commands. She has been around wild birds but they flush too fast. Your thoughts. Thanks
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

SetterNut

Re: Is she ready

Post by SetterNut » Sat May 26, 2012 12:33 pm

I would put her on birds. Keep her on the CC, and bring her across the wind so that she hits the scent cone at about 10 yards.

If she points great. She will likely move for the bird soon after pointing, as soon as she moves launch the bird. You want her to learn that if she moves the bird is going to flush.

If she doesn't point swing back around for another pass. But keep her far enough away that she is not on top of the launch. I don't like a pup getting inside 10' of the launcher, so I have time to launch the bird if the dog moves. And you don't want the dog learning to crowd the birds, wild birds will not stand for that.

Have fun, the dog can do anything wrong at this point.
Steve

h&t

Post by h&t » Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 am

I believe in exposure and natural development.
The dog has to learn to hunt (search) and handle wild bird, unless you plan on hunting pigeon in launchers all the time. So develop, expose, take time, then teach the dog manners on planted birds IF you don't have access to wild ones. My theory :-)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 am

At this point all you can do with the launcher is exactly what is already happening with the birds she finds. The quicker they fly the quicker she will learn to back off and point. Sounds like she is still a little young to be doing much other than exposing her to the environment and hopefully some birds. You will have lots of time to get serious when she does.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun May 27, 2012 11:37 am

I would agree with Ezzy that she is a bit young for launcher work and moving into this too quickly can cause problems.

Trash birds are great for getting a youngster fired up and time spent afield at this age is learning time for the pup.

I would do some yardwork in conjunction with the field expeditions for at least a couple of months. Long about August
I would go afield with some pigeons in a bag and toss a few for your youngster and see what she does.

If she chases...fine. If she chases a bit and then stops and watches the bird fly away...that is a very good indication that the dog is ready
for the pigeons and launchers...and the pressure that goes with that.

Oh and for what it is worth, I hunt for pigeons in launchers all the time. It is great sport. Very challenging. Everyone should try it. :twisted: :P :lol:

RayG

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun May 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I'd say SetterNut nailed it on the head.

Bring her in crosswind and as soon as her body language says she catches scent give her a half second. After that half second is up she'll either be on point or be she won't be on point. If she is on point, let her point, but the moment she makes a move, launch the bird. If after that half second she isn't pointing, launch the bird. A dog points because they're afraid if they move they will scare the bird and it will fly away. So, make her extra nervous about flushing the bird by flushing the bird at the slightest movement. Of course, if her tail is quivering, that's fine. :)

Don't overdo bird work, though. If you take her out, say, three times a week, maybe work birds once and never more than twice. You don't want her to think there's a bird right in front of her every time she goes out and needs to think she has to "hunt" for it to find it.

Good luck!
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

h&t

Post by h&t » Sun May 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Ray, I have great respect for you and I agree with every word you typed in this thread.
I hope you're not making fun of me :evil:
RayGubernat wrote:
Oh and for what it is worth, I hunt for pigeons in launchers all the time. It is great sport. Very challenging. Everyone should try it. :twisted: :P :lol:

RayG

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Mon May 28, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks for the tips. I am no way trying to hurry this process along. I fill like she will get use to sight pointing and keep doing it. She picks up on things real fast. I thought she might be ready for the next level. Thanks
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport