Bird dog trainer NW

jwnissen

Bird dog trainer NW

Post by jwnissen » Sat May 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Anyone know of a good bird dog school/trainer in the Northwest? I dont have access to a lot of area and need some professional help. Thanks.

Wildweeds

Re: Bird dog trainer NW

Post by Wildweeds » Sat May 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Look no farther than R.J. Marquart of Quicksilver Kennels in Moses Lake (509) 989-9408

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat May 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Thank you. How do you know him and why do you recommend him?

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat May 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Gene adams - stormy weather kennels in central oregon. Very very good.......

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Dan hoke. Dunfur kennels. He's in Spokane.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am

What breed of dog ?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun May 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Gene Adams has a very good reputation around here but I have never met the man. Both R.J. and Dan are excellent. I always recomend seeing one of them. Both are soft handlers that do a great job. I met both of them thru field trials years ago. In fact R.J. was still in high school back then. His dad, Ron, ran the show. Take your pick, either/or. Gene I have to meet one of these days. I just hear to many good things about him. Close as we've got is a brief phone call.

I see your in Kenniwick. I'd go see R.J. just because he's closest. If he doesn have room, Dan is next closest.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun May 06, 2012 1:35 pm

R.J. has trained 8 dogs for me now and will continue to get more,the end product is very good................. I sent the first two and I had them kind of screwed up and he fixed em.................. did such a good job with the junk I sent him that I've just got the rest of them started pretty good as far as their natural ability would take them and then had him finish the training process.I've learned alot going over there and helping him out and feel confident enough that I could do it myself but work gets in the way

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Wildweeds wrote:R.J. has trained 8 dogs for me now and will continue to get more,the end product is very good................. I sent the first two and I had them kind of screwed up and he fixed em.................. did such a good job with the junk I sent him that I've just got the rest of them started pretty good as far as their natural ability would take them and then had him finish the training process.I've learned alot going over there and helping him out and feel confident enough that I could do it myself but work gets in the way
What is a good general price and how long does he normally have your dogs? I know its a broad question but I am just trying to get a general Idea. Thanks

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 06, 2012 7:01 pm

bossman wrote:What breed of dog ?
I have an 8 month old female GSP.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm

You have some good suggestions. I havn't talked to Dave Walker in a few years. If something doesn't work out with the names you already have, you might want to give him a call. He's in New Plymouth, Idaho. Good luck

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun May 06, 2012 10:58 pm

The gsp is R.J.'s personal breed of choice,he trains all breeds but his personal hunting dogs are GSPs
jwnissen wrote:
bossman wrote:What breed of dog ?
I have an 8 month old female GSP.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 am

Ray Middleton is good. He lives an hour north, north west of Boise. He force broke one of my setters for me.
Tom

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon May 07, 2012 9:33 am

If your going to go to Idaho, Robertson Kennels is west of Boise somewhere. I know nothing about them other than what I've read and what people say.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 am

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon May 07, 2012 6:30 pm

It's been about 8 years since I had the last batch trained up,I had a dog or two that I field trialed with. 8 years ago the rate was 400 per month,I'm pretty sure I got a discount for FT customer and the fact that he broke 4 out at one time,90 day program for breaking for FT dogs.Most people want to shortcut and only do 2 months.................. you get what you pay for,style will lack if the hammer is laid down on the quick train method IMO,or the dog will actually not be very broke.The price included bird cost which has skyrocketed in the last few years.For your shorthair I'd suggest calling him and asking about his end of summer training camp to Montana,He is going for a month this year to run/hunt clients hunting dogs on sharptail grouse ,Dog has to be in the kennel for 1 month prior to departure,he's leaving labor day weekend.5 dogs went last year and the clients were ecstatic at the results,those 5 dogs were young 2 years and under,came back for the washington hunting season and hunted like seasoned vets............. birds birds birds make a birddog.

I'm not going to garner a guess on the most recent pricing.

jwnissen wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:R.J. has trained 8 dogs for me now and will continue to get more,the end product is very good................. I sent the first two and I had them kind of screwed up and he fixed em.................. did such a good job with the junk I sent him that I've just got the rest of them started pretty good as far as their natural ability would take them and then had him finish the training process.I've learned alot going over there and helping him out and feel confident enough that I could do it myself but work gets in the way
What is a good general price and how long does he normally have your dogs? I know its a broad question but I am just trying to get a general Idea. Thanks

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:40 am

Robertsons kennels has a great place tons of wild birds. Years ago Dave Walker helped me with my first GSP. I am not sure what they all charge my guess is 500-750 a month. I have heard nothing but good things about the kennels mentioned I have only worked with Richie and Dave though and that was atleast 15 years ago.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"