Are the remote bird launchers worth the extra $$ ??

HanktheTankSB

Are the remote bird launchers worth the extra $$ ??

Post by HanktheTankSB » Tue May 01, 2012 9:03 am

I'm going to buy a pigeon launcher to start training my GSP pup on live birds and I was wondering if the remote launchers out there are worth the extra $200 or so. It looks like a couple manual launchers I was looking at were in the $50-60 range. I'm about maxed out on my "hunting budget" already this year, plus I need to get an e-collar for her also.

My friend who trains shorthairs said the remote launchers are pretty reliable, plus the dogs can see the strings. One aspect (besides being cheap) that leads me to the manual launchers is they are lighter and will be easier to carry on long walks. I train about a mile walk from my house and can't leave anything out there so I have to haul everything I use.

Any recommendations are either type?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Are the remote bird launchers worth the extra $$ ??

Post by topher40 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:10 am

If you use them once you will be sold on them. You can save the money now and buy the manuals but I would put money on it that you will someday buy the remote launcher and look back and wonder why you didnt buy them sooner! I personally recommend Dogtra, you can save money going with other brands but the ole saying "You get what you pay for" rings true when buying electronics for you dogs. I hear from guys all the time that Dogtras are so dang expensive and in the next breath they tell me that their Innotek/Tracks and treads/DT launchers broke and they had to spend a bunch of money repairing them. :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

topher40 wrote:If you use them once you will be sold on them. You can save the money now and buy the manuals but I would put money on it that you will someday buy the remote launcher and look back and wonder why you didnt buy them sooner!
They are priceless...until the pup starts blinking them ;) Just kidding. I agree get the remote launchers, take care of them and when used properly, they will be a HUGE asset to your training.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 am

Hank -

Remote launchers are almost indispensable when breaking a dog. They make the job soooo much easier. However, once the dog is staunch or steady(as you prefer) the need for remote launchers is quite a bit less. I use my launchers very heavily when I am getting a dog steady to wing and shot, but the rest of the time...they just sit there.

You said that you have a friend who trains shorthairs. Why don't you ask them if you can rent a couple of launchers from them for the month or so that you actually need them. You can join a Navhda training club or some other local trianing club. Someone will have launchers. If you want to borrow them for free, you may not have many volunteers, but if you are willing to pay for their use or bring birds to work with someone....

You can build or buy some "step on" pigeon/quail releasers which will do all what you need before steadying the dog and afterwards. Lion Country Supply has one I think, Dogs Afield or Dogs Unlimited has another. You can buy a manual launcher or two if you have a training partner to man the string. You can just fly pigeons from a bird bag, or use carded pigeons if you have open areas.
a pigeon with a baby sock over its head will sit quietly in cover until the sock is pulled off, at whcih time it will fly away.

Lots of ways to get from here to there. Good luck to you.

RayG

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 pm

spend the money now because eventually you will buy them anyway. That way you will save the money you would have spent on the manuals.

HanktheTankSB

Post by HanktheTankSB » Tue May 01, 2012 12:32 pm

That's pretty much what I figured. I'm also figuring that is is probably worth to have one remote launcher than 2-3 manual launchers.

Alright so I found an LCS (FKA Innotek) bird launcher for $200
http://www.gundogsupply.com/launcher-wi ... itter.html

While browsing this I also found a beeper/trainer collar from LCS for $200 (never seen this one before when I was researching these)
http://www.gundogsupply.com/intt100atrac.html

This seems like a too good to be true deal and like topher40 said, might be a "get what you pay" for deal. Has anyone used either of these? Since they use the same transmitter it looks like you could buy them toghether for $370.

For the beeper/training e-collar I was holding out for when the Sportdog 1875 combo is available since it will be compatible with my 1825 wetlands I already have for my lab. That collar alone I'm guessing will be $230.

HanktheTankSB

Post by HanktheTankSB » Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Hank -

You said that you have a friend who trains shorthairs. Why don't you ask them if you can rent a couple of launchers from them for the month or so that you actually need them. You can join a Navhda training club or some other local trianing club. Someone will have launchers. If you want to borrow them for free, you may not have many volunteers, but if you are willing to pay for their use or bring birds to work with someone....
The problem is he lives 5 hours away and he is training a pup right now also. If there are any local bird hunters with pointers on here it would be great to together to train/hunt.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Save yourself the headache and the long term money, buy the Dogtra. I would hate to see you back on here in a year looking for Innoteks number because you need repairs done. I have a good used unit with two launchers, if your interested give me a call.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 pm

You can buy a dogtra launcher without the electronics and use it as a manual launcher right now.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/doqulaonq.html

Then, when you have the money, buy the transmitter and receiver. Ends up being the same price in the end.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Tue May 01, 2012 3:39 pm

LCS is a good alternative. I just picked up one and will be buying another, I have already used it a ton and enjoy it's reliability.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 pm

I got an LCS launcher last year and it works fine. If I had to choose between a remote launcher and an e-collar, I'd get the remote.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Dogtra's are be bee's knee's. And yes remote launchers used responsibly are a great tool. Even more so for me now with fewer and fewer wild quail.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

A lot of people here are using the LCS launcher. I have one and have mixed opinions on it. Personally I would get the cheaper launcher and spend the money on the ecollar.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

crazyboy wrote:A lot of people here are using the LCS launcher. I have one and have mixed opinions on it. Personally I would get the cheaper LCS launcher and spend the money on a brand name ecollar.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

HanktheTankSB wrote:I'm going to buy a pigeon launcher to start training my GSP pup on live birds and I was wondering if the remote launchers out there are worth the extra $200 or so. It looks like a couple manual launchers I was looking at were in the $50-60 range. I'm about maxed out on my "hunting budget" already this year, plus I need to get an e-collar for her also.

My friend who trains shorthairs said the remote launchers are pretty reliable, plus the dogs can see the strings. One aspect (besides being cheap) that leads me to the manual launchers is they are lighter and will be easier to carry on long walks. I train about a mile walk from my house and can't leave anything out there so I have to haul everything I use.

Any recommendations are either type?

they are not needed.take your dog on rope say 50ft.plant pigeons in brush.walk dof to bird, tie the rope on bush, throw bird in air. all done.

we dont spend money on things that are not real necessary.
i see folks spend thousands on this stuff.

to me, not necessary.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 pm

A remote launcher allows you to train properly. If the dog moves on point, and a young dog will, you need to be able to get the bird in the air as soon as they move. That way you don't end up with a creeper. They soon learn that if they move the bird is going to fly.

I have a couple of the LCS launchers, that have worked well for several years. There are move expensive and that may be better, but the LCS will do the job. IMO if you can only get launchers or and e-collar, I would get the launchers. A checkcord will do what you need for a young dog. The e-collar can come later if you need it. But birds make the dog, not the e-collar.
Steve

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 pm

SetterNut wrote:A remote launcher allows you to train properly. If the dog moves on point, and a young dog will, you need to be able to get the bird in the air as soon as they move. That way you don't end up with a creeper. They soon learn that if they move the bird is going to fly.

I have a couple of the LCS launchers, that have worked well for several years. There are move expensive and that may be better, but the LCS will do the job. IMO if you can only get launchers or and e-collar, I would get the launchers. A checkcord will do what you need for a young dog. The e-collar can come later if you need it. But birds make the dog, not the e-collar.
very well said.this is why i tie a dog to limb in woods, so he cant creep,then i just let bird go from ground.
e-collar, i have no use for them. i do like hawk and transmitter locator collars.