Picking up pup...superstition or legitimate concern?

Brddgmn

Picking up pup...superstition or legitimate concern?

Post by Brddgmn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:00 pm

So I am scheduled to go pick up my pup tomorrow. She'll be 53 days old. The drive is about 4 hours. When i picked up jupiter 8 years ago, i got him on his 49th day, and the drive was the same distance. I sat in the passenger seat with him the whole way home, and he cried for the first two hours. I have never had a bond with that dog-he is absolutely indifferent to my existence. Ive always wondered if it was because he associated being removed from the litter with me during such an impressionable stage. Btw, jupie is a gsp.

Molly dog, the pup, is an english setter. I dont have anyone to go pick her up with me tomorrow, and im terrified that im going to end up with another dog that wants nothing to do with me. Superstition or legitimate concern? After losing jake, i really need another friend, and dont want to mess this one up.

Ben

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Picking up pup...superstition or legitimate concern?

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:05 pm

I have never seen it have any effect whatso ever. Just don't thinkthat a dog has enough thinking ability to figure out you did something bad and decide it doesn't like you as a result.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm

I would look into the dogs living situation, spend more time reading it, do some fun stuff with it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:06 pm

We think it is extremely important to buy from a breeder who sociailizes the pup from birth. Does the older dog bond with other people. Maybe it's just not a people dog. Most puppies really like the giver of all good things. Milk that for all it's worth. Wealso make sure we only breed people oriented dogs.
We do like to keep ours for 8 weeks and think some puppies are not emotionally ready to be seperated from the litter and mother at seven weeks. Of course other people think 49 days is written in stone.
I'm betting on this one working for you. good luck

Brddgmn

Post by Brddgmn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 pm

These pups are whelped in the home and handled every day. I doubt jupie's litter was. He was in the kennel when i went to look at him at 4 weeks, and in the kennel when i picked him up at 7. That is probably more of the problem than the ride home. In fact, looking back, those folks didnt have a single gsp living in the house.

Ben

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Superstition. What day you bring him home has exactly nothing to do with how well he bonds with you. NONE.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Brddgmn

Post by Brddgmn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 pm

I agree what day doesn't matter...my concern is the association she may make between me and a traumatic experience.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:44 pm

I picked up my English setter at 7.5 weeks and she's fine. In fact, she curled right up on my lap and slept the whole ride home. When she was with the breeder she was handled every day and exposed to everything from birds to kids. I think your previous post about the kennel and not being handled much is right on. I bet you do great with this one :lol:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I think how your GSP was.........or wasnt socialized was the problem. I am absolutely against a pup leaving home before 8 weeks old. I just dont think that they have leared everything they need to learn from mom and sibling before then.
I just picked up a SM pup for a friend of mine in NJ. When I went there the breeders basement looked like a gymnasium! There were things for the ups to climb up, run through, navigate around and countless toys.The items were changes out and moved around daily so that the pups were challenged and stimulated. I have to say the 4 hour rise with this pup was breeze. SHe is well socialized and very stable. I have yet to see anything that has her worried.
When I start to breed, I hope I can achieve this level of socialization with my pup.

Good luck and dont worry, it will be fine. Just build a good bond.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 pm

It was that particular puppy and had nothing to do with when you picked it up. Relax and enjoy your new puppy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have never seen it have any effect whatso ever. Just don't thinkthat a dog has enough thinking ability to figure out you did something bad and decide it doesn't like you as a result.

Ezzy
I agree.

birddgame: You had a bad experience with a dog. I would bet most of us have had a bad experience with a dog. Forget about it and enjoy your pup. Absolutely no reason to think it will be a problem. :) Don't sabotage yourself.
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Sharon wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I have never seen it have any effect whatso ever. Just don't thinkthat a dog has enough thinking ability to figure out you did something bad and decide it doesn't like you as a result.

Ezzy
I agree.

birddgame: You had a bad experience with a dog. I would bet most of us have had a bad experience with a dog. Forget about it and enjoy your pup. Absolutely no reason to think it will be no problem. :) Don't sabotage yourself.
I would agree with both. I received Kona at 8 weeks old. She was transported out of OK to PA with Gundog Express. It took 4 days to get here. She was in a Kennel with her brother. She came out of the van with her tail wagging and within 2 hours she was snuggled up with me on the floor asleep. I know for a fact that tommyboy worked with those pups everyday and had them in the house with his young kids often. The socialization the pup gets in the first couple of months is crucial. Think your first might not have had the fortune your second pup had. I think you will be fine and wish you the best of luck. keep us posted and send pics.

Joe

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Sharon wrote:

Ezzy
I agree.

birddgame: You had a bad experience with a dog. I would bet most of us have had a bad experience with a dog. Forget about it and enjoy your pup. Absolutely no reason to think it will be no problem. :) Don't sabotage yourself.
Good advice. Don't fixate on the previous expirience. I do agree with what the others have stated. 8 weeks is the right age to take them home. That being said, as a kid I picked up adult dogs from the pound and never had a problem bonding with them. You just have to give them a little more love. In fact, the dog that put the hook in me was 3 years old when I got her. We hunted anything that moved and she was a total mutt. A kid, a dog and a BB gun....absolute fun.

Enjoy!

Bluestem
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Brddgmn wrote:So I am scheduled to go pick up my pup tomorrow. She'll be 53 days old. The drive is about 4 hours. When i picked up jupiter 8 years ago, i got him on his 49th day, and the drive was the same distance. I sat in the passenger seat with him the whole way home, and he cried for the first two hours. I have never had a bond with that dog-he is absolutely indifferent to my existence. Ive always wondered if it was because he associated being removed from the litter with me during such an impressionable stage. Btw, jupie is a gsp.

Molly dog, the pup, is an english setter. I dont have anyone to go pick her up with me tomorrow, and im terrified that im going to end up with another dog that wants nothing to do with me. Superstition or legitimate concern? After losing jake, i really need another friend, and dont want to mess this one up.

Ben

just my opinion on owning dogs for 50 yrs,ITS IN GENES.