Best Method For A Beginner!

shaneroyce

Best Method For A Beginner!

Post by shaneroyce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for the advice on a couple other threads. This is a great forum. I have read Delmar Smith, and Richard Wolters books when I was younger, but haven't read one in a while and would like to get going on a formal program for my 12 month old EP. What is the best method to go with for a guy training his 1st pointing dog. I have heard quite a bit about Smith, Hickox, and Perfect Start/Finish. Is any one better/easier to get ME trained on how to keep this dog progressing correctly. You can read some background on the pup and me under the topic "rookie would love to hear your expert thoughts" in the training forum. Thanks in advance!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Best Method For A Beginner!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Rick and Ronnie Smith have a good method ..Rick being Delmar Smiths son
Thing about any method is the one that makes the most sense you you where you can covey the training the easiest for your dog and be the most consistent at is the most important

Another there is a book written by Martha Greenlee titled Training with MO ..Maurice Lindley is based west method

These are proven methods not only for hunters but also trialers :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 pm

I say search for a mentor around you, maybe talk to a few people and see who you get a long the best with and start training with them.

there are a lot of ways of doing this, but if you have someone that has done it and is willing to help that goes a long way in your training.

brandon

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

speaking from experience i think the hickox seminar was worth every penny. i have also heard good things about the smith seminars. spending four days with a pro to learn their program is a great way to get some hands on experience.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am

Perfect Start, Perfect Finish sure helped me a lot.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 pm