George Hickox?

pudeltopointer

George Hickox?

Post by pudeltopointer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Just wondering what one of George Hickox dvd you all would recommend for getting a versitle puppy started his pointer or retriever beginner video? And for clinics George or ronnie Smith? I live in north carolina
Last edited by pudeltopointer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bossman

Re: George Hickox?

Post by bossman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Where are you located?

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm

North carolina.Have family in maryland thinking bout ronnies class up there march 23rd but my pup will only be 8 weeks than.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 pm

pudeltopointer wrote:North carolina.Have family in maryland thinking bout ronnies class up there march 23rd but my pup will only be 8 weeks than.

Your best bet would be Mo Lindley both book and seminar. He is a good one and will work with you anytime you need him

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Well 8 weeks may be a little early for a seminar. I might start with the Smith's puppy development dvd's, The Perfect Start dvd from Perfection Kennels and The book How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey. Many other good book's and dvd's out there. At eight weeks, spend time socializing and bonding with your pup, get him into fields and let him learn how to use his nose...chase field birds, butterflys, etc. Just some thoughts. Others will have many good suggestions. Good luck with your pup and take your time. You will have lot's of fun over the years

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 pm

bossman wrote:Well 8 weeks may be a little early for a seminar. I might start with the Smith's puppy development dvd's, The Perfect Start dvd from Perfection Kennels and The book How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey. Many other good book's and dvd's out there. At eight weeks, spend time socializing and bonding with your pup, get him into fields and let him learn how to use his nose...chase field birds, butterflys, etc. Just some thoughts. Others will have many good suggestions. Good luck with your pup and take your time. You will have lot's of fun over the years
Amen

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/training-th ... g-dog.html

You might find that more useful for a versatile. Also, the NAVHDA Green Book, although it's a little out of date.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 pm

I would get the collection dvd of hickox. His stuff is real good.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 am

Eight weeks would work for the Smith foundation seminar. It's as much about you as the dog. You'll learn a lot about how to raise a pup, stuff that will help you avoid problems later on and give you a leg up on formal training later on.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 am

I wouldn't take a pup that young simply due to not having been fully vaccinated.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I wouldn't take a pup that young simply due to not having been fully vaccinated.
Agreed! Avoid pets mart, petco, rest stops, training areas, any place a lot of dogs go.

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 pm

ultracarry wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I wouldn't take a pup that young simply due to not having been fully vaccinated.
Agreed! Avoid pets mart, petco, rest stops, training areas, any place a lot of dogs go.
So I should avoid vets and dog parks?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Definitely dog parks....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

At our clinic, we suggest puppies which have not received a third DHPP be carried, if possible. We wipe down and mop with Nolvasan to keep surfaces safer. Dog parks are definitely off limits. Here, dogs must be spayed or neutered and have a rabies vax to enter the public dog parks.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm

To answer your question about which DVD your dog is a pointing breed and the field work you will be doing will be to get your dog steady to wing and shot. Get George's
New beginnings DVD it will be a lot of help. His retriever DVDs are for flushing dogs teaching sit to flush etc. George's program is very good . His seminar is not to train your dog it is to teach you to train your dog. Check his website he may have a date that is better for you and your dog respective to age. Send him an e mail it is better that your dog is there but not necessary . it is certainly a good idea to get on a good program from the beginning to avoid making mistakes that will be difficult to correct later on.