Couple of Brittany questions

Shakes

Couple of Brittany questions

Post by Shakes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 pm

I have a Brit on hold and will be getting in about a month. She will be around 8 weeks. I've never trained a bird dog. She will also be a house dog and she will do most of her hunting with me alone. I plan on getting a training video, does anyone have particular recommendations? I see a lot of recommended books but not many dvd's(obviously I could have missed). Another question is what equipment do think is most necessary to have? I didn't want to invest in the more expensive things and then realize that its not really effective to use. It would seem an e-collar is a must as it can help with house training as well. The things I'm most afraid of is having her range too far, overtraining/starting too early, and getting her to retrieve killed birds. I also plan on raising quail/pheasant this year as I have the land to hunt, just no birds on it. I hunted public land this year which has a few birds but its a bit of a drive without a lot of results, though I was hunting without a dog and just one other person, and would like to get rid of the drive.

I had an idea for a bird launcher. I have a clay target thrower, one that you pull the string on. So, what I was thinking is I could attach a long cord on it and for the 'bird' I could use a rag with some scent on it roll it up with something heavy in that will fit in the thrower and when I throw the rag, shoot...Is that something that would work at all or do I need to invest in an actual launcher?

Thanks for any pointers, I'm really excited about this.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Couple of Brittany questions

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:39 pm

We used to "invent " many training devices in the past. If it works , do it. A launcher is not used for a long period in training. It is expensive for the times it is used.
You probably know this but be careful with that e-collar and house training. What we think we are correcting is often not what the dog is thinking. You don't want him afraid to pee.
If you are planning on more than one dog , you need a remote launcher. Enjoy your dog. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Look for some bird dog clubs or seminars near you the hands on learning and reading your dog will take you further then any book you will read.
I like Rick and Ronnie Smith Seminars the foundation is great and remember seminars are more for the people to give them to tools to get training started to add more to what they have already learned they are not meant to train a dog in the weekend :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about birds for several months. Just get the pup out for short walks, increasing the time as the pup ages. He needs to learn to go with you, to get through barb wire fences, to cross creeks etc... I walk puppies and wait for them to get distracted and then I step behind a tree or bush and make the pup come and find me. I think that you need to establish the fact early that the pup needs to look for you and go with you, not you look for the pup and chase him around.

I don't think the target thrower and the rag will do you any good at all. I can help you with an inexpensive launcher. Get some 1" x 1" welded wire, use cage clips and make a cage that is about 8" high, 8" wide, and about 18" long. There should be no bottom on the cage. Hold a pigeon on the ground with one hand and lower the cage over him with the other hand and then set a brick on top of the cage to keep it from tipping over when the pigeon flops around. Then tie a long string to the cage. You can check cord your pup in and let him point, when you are ready to flush, just pull the string to tip the cage over freeing the pigeon. This does not actually launch the pigeon, just releases him. Most pigeons will fly pretty quickly.

You can also use a pigeon pole that I believe has been described on this site, I am sure that you can search for it.

I would recommend that you buy a quality ecollar. This is one area that you do not want to skimp. You don't need it for several months and if you pay attention to the bird dog web sites you can usually find a good used one. The active field trialers occasionally win an ecollar as a prize at a field trial. You can sometimes pick up a brand new one from them at a significant discount.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 pm

shakes,

You ask a lot of good questions. I have trained a few Brits over the years and have been successful by using a few tricks. The very first thing you need to do is take the words of the late great Bill Tarrant of Field and Stream fame. Make your new pup's world dissappear. By this I mean take him out into the field as many times a week as you can. Dont worry about birds right now, Become ur dog's best friend by spending as much time with him as u can. Once u have done this begin " bird " work by using the wing on a string trick. this will help to build the pointing instinct. you can introduce birds in many ways. You can use pigeons in the beginning. they have a strong scent and flush with a loud noise that excites pups. You can tie a piece of cardboard the size of a business envelope to one leg that will allow the pigeon to fly but not far, there are many remote launchers on the market and u can build your own as I once did but you must be careful using them. Some Brits are very timid and the strange scent and noise of a remote launcher can scare and confuse them. I use pigeon socks, they are cheap (around 7 bucks) and have no scent. You can pick them up from Cabelas. Once ur dog is coming along on pigeons you can introduce him to quail. By then he should be very birdy. i applaud your decision to keep your pup inside as this helps to build rapport. BUT!!!! be very careful in uing the e-collar, especially for housebreaking. the e-collar is a very valuable tool in the hands of pro trainer or very experienced amatuer. However since this is ur first pup I would strongly recommend to not use it. There are many other ways to train without the e-collar. If used incorrectly it can destroy a possible "pup of a lifetime ". There are many other tricks and tips when training a Brittany and many good books as well. Look on ebay in books, non fiction sports and recreation, (hunting and fishing). Some of the greats to look for are Gun Dog by "bleep" Wolters, Wing and Shot by Robert Whelhe and Hunt Close by Jerome Robinson. Good luck and reply if I can help in any way. Considering a new Brit myself soon. They are a great dog.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 am

I agree with the other posts. Take your time, take the pup out with you on short countryside walks. Don't ask a young pup to walk too far. I've house trained dozens of pups over the years and never needed an e-collar to do it. Prevention works better than "cure" for house training.

Good luck with your pup, you'll have a great time with it.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:37 am

be careful with the e collar. I have never needed one for house breaking. All you need for that is consistancy. Keep the pup regular. One other thing, make the pup aware that no matter what outside is it. Even in the rain, I walked my pup out and stood with her until she went. Now, it doesn't matter the weather, she goes out on her own.

Joe

Shakes

Post by Shakes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:33 am

Thank you all very much. I was more thinking of using the collar for not jumping on things instead of potty training but should I just avoid it all together for house training you think? Sounds like I have a TON to learn especially about using an e-collar. I'm worried but excited mostly about the training. As long as she turns into a decent dog I will be thrilled. She has a great bloodline, great grandpa is Nolan's Last Bullet, does that make a big difference? I hear that either they will hunt or they won't and it almost completely depends on if their parents, grandparents, etc are hunters. Thanks again for everyone's input, this was more than I was hoping for.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 pm

E collar is not the answer for house training or jumping...

Understanding the E collar CLICK HERE

There are plenty of posts which cover proper potty training and crate training and to deter a dogs desire to jump...But bascally on the jump you will need to undo what you have allowed it is so cute when baby puppy comes up they jump up and you pick them up...
I like to grab the front paws of dogs that are not invited and will squeeze them and make the dog stand up on hind end on My terms they will struggle and even mouth the hand but I will not let go when they mouth my hand I squeeze harder they stop and I decrease pressure until they finally just drop their head to the side in an OK deep sigh I give..couple apps of that they figure out jumping up is no longer fun
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

terrym

Post by terrym » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm

The first thing you need is a good crate for him to sleep in and be contained when you are out of the house and he can't come with you. As for Dvd's the Rick Smith series is great and watch them before you get the pup. As for the E-collar you really don't need it until he's around 8-9 months and has had some successful formal obedience training. The collar doesn't train it reinforces what is already learned. And lastly don't be afraid to use the services of a professional trainer to get you started it tends to be money well spent, I know we beneffited greatly from it.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Shakes

Post by Shakes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 pm

@terry Can I ask why a crate is necessary? I've had inside dogs before and when we were gone they just roam the house. Is it different with a dog like that than with a hunting/inside dog? I had planned on just letting this dog roam as well and while she's a pup was gonna be in a playpen at night. Should I not do that then?

terrym

Post by terrym » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Shakes wrote:@terry Can I ask why a crate is necessary? I've had inside dogs before and when we were gone they just roam the house. Is it different with a dog like that than with a hunting/inside dog? I had planned on just letting this dog roam as well and while she's a pup was gonna be in a playpen at night. Should I not do that then?
You might find that a Brittany has alot more energy and natural curiosity that is best contained when you are not around. When you introduce the crate right away it becomes normal and the dog will adapt to it right away.It will protect the pup as well as your home. Dogs won't normally mess thier crates so it actually helps house breaking them also. My Britt is now 18 mths old and I just started letting him out loose at night time, before that he got crated as we turned in for the night. Now he just sleeps on the floor of the bedroom. The secret is to keep them well exercised. Mine gets walked every evening for an hour and gets to run off leash in the woods 4-5 times a week for at least an hour and right now that seems to be sufficient for him. Miss a day though due to bad weather and he gets hiper quickly. I think you will find most DVD's will recommend you crate the dog at night.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

ToddW7

Post by ToddW7 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:42 pm

I was in your position eight months ago when I got my Brittany. I can second the choice on getting Rick and Ronnie Smith's dvds (I have all three). I also recommend Larry Mueller's book Speed Train Your Own Bird Dog. They have helped me provide what I think is a solid foundation for my dog. I take my dog out for a good run in the field at least twice a week and she is calm in the house at nights. The crate is real helpful in potty training, and shaping behavior. I didn't need an e-collar before she was six months old. Do a lot of research on how to properly use the ecollar. You will probably want to get her use to wearing it for a month before you ever use it. This site is great for helpful information. Have fun.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:15 pm

i just pottey trained my new brittany pup took less then 3 weeks at first i was unsure of when she had to go out, sometime 5 times an hour she went out, when she did her deed i praysed her and gave her a treat( just a piece of puppy chow) if she went in the house, she went stait on outside i wasnt very hard on her when she was bad after about a week i still was have trouble telling when she needed out, this made me very nervous but just after that she start going to the door and letting me know when she had to go out. get a crate set it up next to your bed your puppy will be comfortable next to you in her crate and not potty on the floor. right now she wake me once in the middle of the night to go out. a crate is a safe place for your pup when your not home trust me your brittany will find thing to eat that not good for them i hope this helps i'm just learning as i go. gook luck with your training

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Shakes,

i wouldnt worry to much about the pup's ability. If he is a grandson of Bullet he should be just fine. There are many fine tips on here from other fellow birdhunters and if you heed their advice you will be fine. Brittanies on a whole are very birdy early in their puppyhood and the introduction of the wing on a string followed by introducing pigeons should start him off just right. One word of caution though concerning pigeons... when you first introduce him to pigeons do so by holding a pigeon firmly in your hand and allow him to smell it as long as he cares too he should be very very interested in it. Then have your wife or a buddy hold your pup and you step away a few feet and hold the pigeon down close to the ground and then release it. This accomplishes a few things all at once. First it introduces him to birds in a controlled situation that helps to stop problems before they start. If you release the pigeon right in his face the bird when leaving your hands may strike the pup with his primaries as he flies off. On some shy pups this can cause a real problem as they my blink the next bird meaning they will scent it but ignore it fearing a repeat of the previous "scary" episode. It also introduces the pup to the flush of a bird and many will begin to point right away. I once had a grandson of Tuminskis' Cribb and I was working arouind the house and lost sight of him (he was 9 wks old at the time) and found him pointing a robin in the backyard. The bird was about 6 feet in front of him and did not seem concerned. I knew then I had a winner, I was right. Take it slow and above all make it fun. To quote a gun dog author from a few years back, " it takes birds to make a birdog, after all that is the first word in their name " very true. Good luck

raypoconos

Post by raypoconos » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:25 pm

+1 for Larry Mueller's book Speed Train Your Own Bird Dog

Shakes

Post by Shakes » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm glad I came here, I thought I knew the direction I wanted to take but I was definitely wrong on some things. I have one more question. Any recommendations on dog food? Just like puppy/dog chow be ok?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:14 pm

I have a 3.5 yr old brit and went through the same thing as you a couple years ago. You have to get a crate. It will save you a lot of patience and energy. When our pup was young, we set the alarm every hour. We took her out no matter what. As she got older, we extended the time. Your pup will pee and poop in the house, and in the crate. Don't make a big deal about it, just pick them up and immediately take them outside... BTW.. Get some good carpet cleaner! Your going to need it for a couple weeks! :mrgreen:... When we wanted our pup in her crate, we would pick her up and say "kennel" and place her in the crate. We also gave her a treat. She soon learned that "kennel" ment for her to get in her crate because she was getting a treat. Once the dog learns that, slowly ween them off the treats. Now, no matter where my dog is in the house, if I tell her to kennel, you better get out of her way because she hauls butt to her crate. We still give her a treat every once in a while for being good. She has also learned that she isn't allowed to go upstairs, and she only gets to jump on the bed, and 1 couch. When they jump up on something they aren't supposed to, tell the "down" and give them a treet after you move them off whatever furnature they aren't supposed to be on (chair, table, cabinet, cealing fan, etc). It shouldn't take too much to get the dog so they are a great memeber of your house. But don't expect too much too fast. We didn't give our pup really free reign until she was about a year old. She sleeps in bed with us at night, but even now, when we leave, she gets put outside or in her crate if its raining. Our 11 year old lab gets free run of the house 24/7 whether we are home or not, but he is literally the best house dog I have ever seen, and we didn't teach him crap. We can't do that with our brit because after a while she can get bored and will eat the occasional book or some other tasty portion of the house (banisters, wood molding, cealing fans, etc). But for the most part, shes a great house dog.......

You might want to look into the training CD's called "The Perfect Start/Perfect finish". They are great CD's for the bird hunting portion of your training. I also like the book "The Brittany, Amateurs training with Professionals".. Good luck, you will have a great hunting partner and house dog in no time.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Shakes,

Absolutely crate train the dog. It is a good practice, not just in making potty training go 90% faster, but also in teaching the dog how to be alone and self-soothe AND it is invaluable to have a crate trained dog when you have emergencies, overnight vet visits, travel to and from the field, any training situations where you dog needs to wait in the vehicle for his/her turn, etc. Not to mention keeping them from harm when you cannot watch them. I've only had 2 of the last 6 dogs ever mess their crate, ever. You need a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle - vinegar, bleach, etc, just don't work to take the smell out. Enzymatic cleaners get rid of the smell according to the dog's nose.

Whereabouts are you in NE MO? We have an active QF chapter here in Macon and several more in this area as well. We are looking at starting a training club as well. We have several members who have good homing pigeon coops. Most of us up here use the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish DVD series - and we have hosted the Perfection Kennel seminar here locally quite a few years ago. You can't beat Jon and Cindy when it comes to training a pointing dog! I recommend you get over to Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic in Kansas City and meet them! www.quailclassic.org

Elsa