Brittney CC training

sniperjon

Brittney CC training

Post by sniperjon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:47 pm

So getting a little frustrated with my CC training. My 5 month old brit will follow the "stay" command on CC BUT with the "here" command she fights me. I have been doing these two commands every day on our morning and afternoon walks for 2 weeks. suggestions? Also I was thinking that because I have already introduced her to birds and of coarse thats all she thinks about.Her focus is hunting and not me.I might have jumped the gun.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittney CC training

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 pm

i don't think you jumped the gun. What is the consequence the dog is receiving when it doesn't come? Up the ante. Dog shouldn't be allowed to blow you off. Depending on the maturiy of the dog , I might introduce the transition to the e-collar at this time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Have you tried just rewarding the success with a treat? I whistle trained my Brittany in about an hour just by giving him a treat. Not against e collars mine wears his alot but it's easy to over use that tool.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

I fill my pockets up with sunflower seeds. call them or whistle when they come give them a seed.Its cheap and has worked for my last four dogs.If they dont come fast enough when they turn start backing up the faster you back up the faster they will come.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Sun flower seeds? That's a new one on me.

Sounds like your over doing the here command. Don't make it a chore. Call when you really do want it for some reason than the rest of the time leave it alone.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

sully511

Post by sully511 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm

I had and still have some issues with "here" and my Britt. I ended up using the e-collar which helped alot and I personally would have preferred to not use it but it became a necessity. I have trained all my other dogs (not bird dogs) with food and it has worked great. With my Britt, the problem was the act of running and hunting was so desirable to him that the food didn't matter one bit. It was getting so frustrating! He was flawless on "here" inside of a building (I train agility also) so he knew what it meant but just couldn't override his natural instinct to listen when I needed him to. I didn't use the e-collar until he was maybe 13ish months old because that's when I finally broke down and got one. Now, even though the running and hunting is still very desirable, he can focus enough on me to come when I call him. I still try to use treats but alot of the time he doesn't care about them so he gets a nice pet, a "good boy" and given a release command to go run again. Good luck with your pup!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:47 pm

Well said. I might use food with a puppy but I'm not comfortable with it for an older dog who knows what I want but is not complying.To each their own.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks for the help. F.Y.I i had started using the whistle to train and it was going great but the big problem I found was when I take her out in the field on weekends there are other folks working with there dogs aswell is I and in my area EVRYONE uses the whistle so every time she heard one she was getting confused.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Actually i think the dog will learn which whistle is yours with more time.
In a dog trial ,both handlers often have a whistle in the brace. The dogs learn what to listen to.

IndianaBritt

Post by IndianaBritt » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Seeds? Really. I have never heard of that one.