Trainings Assistance Near Green Bay, WI

ehocker1098

Trainings Assistance Near Green Bay, WI

Post by ehocker1098 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:24 pm

My wife and I recently put a deposit down on our first GSP pup that we will be getting in July or August. I've done a ton of research thus far on training, but it still seems a little over whelming for a first time dog owner. Does anyone know of a good gun dog trainer in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area that I can contact who will allow me to work one on one with them and my new dog? I want to make sure that I am part of the training process and do not want to send my dog away for several months to be trained.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

deseeker

Re: Trainings Assistance Near Green Bay, WI

Post by deseeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:23 pm

If you don't find a trainer to work with, join a NAVHDA chapter---they have training days and everybody will help you train your gsp. Good luck when you get the pup.

mik

Post by mik » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 pm

I second the NAVHDA suggestion...you've got the Kettle Moraine Chapter South of you....Lots of folks that have been around hunting dogs who are very willing to help in my experience.....I find multiple folks and their methods trump one person and the way they've always done it.....

What about a suggestion from the breeder for a trainer in the area......They are an awfully good source of info.....

I have a Thunderhead GSP from the G.B. area Ron and Deb are very involved in NAVHDA and very helpful if asked.....

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 am

hey ehocker1098
Come and check out our next Km navhda training session in February. You will be able to get your dog on some bird and she the different traning methods.

MTR

Post by MTR » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 am

I second (or third ) that the Kettle Moraine NAVHDA Chapter will be of great help. I believe that Ron and Deb of Thunderhead GSP's (http://www.thunderheadgsps.com/) also train dogs outside of their breeding and are active members of the chapter. They are both great people. http://www.kmnavhda.com/

Joining NAVHDA will help you learn how to train your dog. Was one of the single best things that I did.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 am

Bob Olson in Lena. He is an outstanding trainer and he and his wife Cookie run a class facility.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ehocker1098

Post by ehocker1098 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

I will investigate joining my local NAVHDA chapter here over the next several months. Also, I've contacted Ron and Deb from Thunderhead GSP's and they are open to letting me train with them later this year. Along with that I will be contacting my breeder to see if they have other suggestions for good trainers in the area. I just want to make sure that I take the right steps up front and correct any poor behaviors before they start.

Thanks Again,
Eric

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 am

Good news is you have plenty of time to research. Congrats on the pup and let it be a pup for awhile when you get it!

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Bob Olson in Lena. He is an outstanding trainer and he and his wife Cookie run a class facility.
X2

I've had Bob work with all 3 of my GSP's Out standing man as honest as the day is long. Top notch in my book and very resonable.
River Road Kennel

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Eric, may I also suggest contacting John Voight from Bonasa Flats Kennels in Wrightstown. http://www.bonasaflats.com/

John is well versed in training the pointing breeds and is active in NAVHDA and AKC events. John encourages owner involvement and trains both the owner/handler as well as the dog. John personally owns German Shorthairs and has also produced some good dogs. He trains at many different grounds. As a bonus, he is a fun trainer to work with.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.