EPointer=Birdss

Wing Training - My Pups first day seeing a wing

Post by EPointer=Birdss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Wing Training - My Pups first day seeing a wing

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Nice looking pup. Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Keep in mind that you are "teaching" your pup nothing. You are playing with it. The wing is strictly for your entertainment. The dog is strictly sight pointing and not learning to use it's nose and stop on scent. A little wing goes a long way.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:23 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Keep in mind that you are "teaching" your pup nothing. You are playing with it. The wing is strictly for your entertainment. The dog is strictly sight pointing and not learning to use it's nose and stop on scent. A little wing goes a long way.
Exactly.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

EPointer=Birdss

Post by EPointer=Birdss » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:36 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Keep in mind that you are "teaching" your pup nothing. You are playing with it. The wing is strictly for your entertainment. The dog is strictly sight pointing and not learning to use it's nose and stop on scent. A little wing goes a long way.
I know very well how to train a pointer & I train on wild birds. I don't use quail, launchers or any of that.
The wing is a game for the pup to encourage her to point & encourage a few concepts that will be developed /re-inforced later in training. Training doesn't start anytime soon but she is learning & it is not for my amusement. At 9 weeks of being on the planet I don't care if it is sight or not for now & I will build this up in stages as I have done with every pointer before her

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I don't exactly agree with that, the wing used in different ways progressing to pigeons however presented go a long way to engrain in a young dogs mind that master=birds=fun......I find a dog that has been exposed to the wing then the pigeons weather on a pole or flown learns go with you at a young age, unless they got a screw loose, in a dogs mind, the thought of its master should go directly to the thought of good things, birds and feathers. They rarely leave you if they make these connections.

Mr. Miller thought alot of the wing and pigeon pole, and for good reason IMHO, not that its the only way to teach a dog......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 pm

A little wing goes a long way
I think most of us have probably used the wing to see the pointing instinct of a very young puppy, but I think this is an accurate statement.

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 pm

There was no offense intended EPointer. I enjoyed the video....Enjoy your pup.

Charlie

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 pm

The wing is something that brings out a bunch of mixed emotions on this board. I have used the wing on a string for every dog I have trained and I use it as part of a systematic approach to training. IT is not a game I play with older pup but when they are young like this one I use it and try to get the juices flowing. That pup looks like he is very interested and I wish yo the best of luck with it.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

rick,b

Post by rick,b » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm

love the video m8 8) .real nice looking pup.i miss the puppy years

volraider

Post by volraider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 am

I didn't have a wing so I tied a sock to my fishing pole and my pup pointed the sock. What does that mean?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 am

volraider wrote:I didn't have a wing so I tied a sock to my fishing pole and my pup pointed the sock. What does that mean?
I use a plastic grocery bag. An empty one that is. :P Some pups like it others don't but never saw that it make a bit of difference when they went to the field. It sure is cute though when you see a 3 to 4 week old pup point it and tip over when they try to raise the front leg. Impresses the people who come to look at the litter.
I have never seen that it does any harm but sure can't say it does any good either.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21 am

ya'll are thinking of only one use for feathers....

Ever see the video of FM taking 15 pups from the pen , letting them bounce around in full enjoyment of feathers and returning them to the pen with no real words used.....what you think those dogs were thinking as he rounded the corner out of sight, and when he returned? Exactly what i hope my dogs think at that age when i go in or out of sight. If you cant see value in that..... well to each their own I guess. :wink:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 am

Very nice puppy. Love the classic head.
welcome aboard, by the way! These message boards are full of opinions. I try absorb info but some goes into the good idea file and some into the "not likely" file. I have on occaision revisited and tried stuff that I never thought I'd use or need, but mostly I'd stick with what is working already.
mostly have fun and share! MOST people mean well and are just trying to help. You'll be able to tell the "rable rousers " after not too long.
There are in fact a few programs that use a lot of sight work, starting with wings, then pigeons, then moving to scent and launchers.
Keep posting progress. I love watching the dogs progress into birddogs!

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 am

Welcome...a lot of thoughts on the wing but what is important is what matters to you. It is your dog and whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

Check out the Smith video on puppy development and I bet you see a segment on using a rag on a pole...same principle.

EPointer=Birdss

Post by EPointer=Birdss » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Cheers lads.
I have principles with pups that I like to follow & the wing is one I introduce young. I have had pups who wouldn't point a wing also that turned out well & some were so so.

She is showing great signs so far & has the bold streak I like In pups. :D

Here's my current pointer dog of not yet 4 years old. He is a pure roughshooting HPR. I don't train steady to shot or wing due to type of country I hunt. Ultimate bird finding & retrieving are my requirements & i've turned down a lot of money for him - I don't compete or anything - just fill my freezer. :)
I have lost count of the amount of birds shot with him & i've yet to lose one shot bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMyNbTg0 ... ture=inbox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Avh38jjiY

Homepage
http://www.youtube.com/user/Epointer123?feature=mhee