How old is too old?

Rock_Binder

How old is too old?

Post by Rock_Binder » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:36 am

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I just acquired a Black Lab from my a friend of mine, however he claims that he's been started but I'm not so sure. How old is too old to take a lab back to the basics of obedience then build from there to make a good duck dog?
The dog in question is currently just over 1 year old and is ok with basic house manners (sit, stay, here) but will not work off lead or anything for retrieves other than a basic game of fetch with a tennis ball.
Now I won't lie, I'm new to training a waterfowl dog but not to basic obedience or hunting so any information that you guys can point me to for reference after basic training would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
--Rock Binder

SeniorCoot

Re: How old is too old?

Post by SeniorCoot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:35 am

Just started helping a hunting buddy with a similar dog-he got it from the pound at about 1yr- we have hunted it twice- both times with my dogs-(labs) we first determined that it was NOT gun shy and went from there- it is learning to quarter from my boys and seems to have a good nose-OB is good and with a whistle or two stays in range- problem is with retrieves- doesn't do it and drops birds when ever he feels like it SO i will take him home and FF him- that should take care of that problem and with more experience at game farm he should ne an OK meat dog.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:37 am

I am also starting with an older dog. He will be 3 years old in April. I got him from a rescue a week ago. He is pretty good with his obedience and loves to fetch his tennis ball. I have had him in the field a few times, although he has not figured out what we are hunting yet, his drive gets stronger with each trip out. I am going to put him on pigeons this weekend. Hopefully that goes well but if not I can FF him and he will make a great retriever.

Keep us posted on how the training is going!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:14 am

My last lab was three when I got him and didn't even know his own name. I don't think they are ever to old.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 am

I started a 2 year old once, and she is a hunting machine to-day. The thing to remember is that most rescue dogs have been abused. You have to get by those fears and insecurities while training , which is not always easy. The day we started she wouldn't leave my side. Now she's hunting 2-300 yards out - which is what i likel :) Enjoy your dog but take it slowly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Rock_Binder

Post by Rock_Binder » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:55 am

I guess that takes care of me being an idiot and thinking he might have been too old for basic commands.
Would anybody be so kind as to point me in a direction for some good training material that I could read through without paying an arm and a leg?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 am

First off, I foster/rescue dogs frequently through a breed specific rescue and through the local animal shelter. None that I have personally handled have acted as though they've ever been "abused". Most are just either kennel dogs that didn't get to hunt enough so they give them up, or someone has died, had a baby, or can't afford the dog. Most are undersocialized, but not acting as though they'd been abused at all. You just need to build confidence with the dog and follow a specific plan for their training.

We have a year and a half chesapeake that we got from a shelter - we are following Evan Graham's smartworks program with him and he's coming along just fine. He is a bit gun sensitive, but we are working through that with no major problems. I'd recommend finding a program you agree with and following that program. And as for starting him out - just get him used to as much as is possible in the next several months.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Rock_Binder wrote:How old is too old to take a lab back to the basics of obedience then build from there to make a good duck dog?
The dog in question is currently just over 1 year old and is ok with basic house manners (sit, stay, here) but will not work off lead or anything for retrieves other than a basic game of fetch with a tennis ball....--Rock Binder
To be direct, 1 year old is certainly not too old to train a quality dog. The unkown at this point is how much quality the animal has. Rather than hold the dog to account for preconceived notions due to his age, why not just train him and let him show you what he's got?

Start from the ground up, and give him what any good working retriever needs; sound Basics.

The components of Basics in order

1) “Here”
2) “Heel & Sit”
3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
8 ) Single tee
9) Double tee
10) Water force, Water tee with Swim-by

See how he trains. Take your time. Be patient. He'll show you what he's made of if you'll give him a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7zJpCsKQc

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum