Trash breaking

angie jan

Trash breaking

Post by angie jan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:53 pm

I have not even touched the Ecollar I bought yet, as I'm still doing research.

I found some videos the Tritronics people put out but none of them deal with 'trash breaking'.. if anyone knows of any 'links' they'd be wanting to share I'd LOVE to have use of them.

I've found theres' a clear debate on 'how' trash breaking should be done.

On one side we have the people who believe the dog should be well 'started' with the collar, and so, (if I have it right) they will be prepared to follow the already learned sequence of avoiding/escaping reprimand by listening to the masters call. That's correct, yes?!

But I don't understand the 'thinking' completely as to the other side, which I understand as 'take the dog out with no training' (if necessary) and give a good shock when the animal is being attentive to the unwanted motivator. Why would you consider 'this' method better than the first?

Not trying to 'rock the boat'... I really want to know 'which way' to go.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Trash breaking

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Trash breaking is for hounds. Bird dogs benifit from snake and porcupine breaking. Things like deer that run away and rabbits, take the chase out on them. You go to the field and trash break for everything your dog wants to chase and he might quit the field on you. Taking the chase out is no harder than taking the chase out on birds and accomplishes the same end. Let the chase get under way a bit and then start nicking till the dog breaks off.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

angie jan

Post by angie jan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm

My situation is a bit 'unique'... I don't have a hunting dog. I have a livestock dog, a Pyrenees. Sadly, she killed my daughters cat last month. We are quite unsure if it was an intended kill (the cat did get away but did not live) or play gone wrong. Either way, I can't afford for the mistake to reoccur.

I know this isn't a situation you hunters would be used to but you'd have more experience than the 'obedience' type trainers who aren't concerned with interfering with the natural 'drives' the dogs are bred and kept for. I want this dog to continue recognizing vermin and running it off or killing it. It's important for me to teach the dog the 'cat' specifically is off limits.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 am

I am not much help but I think you are over thinking this. All my dogs know the difference between house cats and vermin. I don't think you will hurt her working ability by teaching her the cats are off limits.

angie jan

Post by angie jan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:41 am

lol.. perhpas I am but I've never used an E Collar before so I want to be sure I'm using it correctly. I take my training seriously.

I have had session in the house over the last few weeks with the dog on a prong, teaching it 'down' and using treats when it attends to me with the cat in the room (eating). I've been having success but what will happen when I'm not at arms length is a true concern, hence a desire to teach with the E collar.

I also don't think the dog will be turned off of protecting and can learn cats are 'off limits'... She has had to learn with all of the other animals on the farm but the cat has unique challenges. Getting him (cat) to cooperate in the training sessions is a 'chore'...lol. And it's hard to have the dog out in the yard and 'create' a situation where it will come accross the cat (good farm cats are alive because they are stealthy).

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 am

If a dog is highly motivated it will run through the collar for a time, even if is on high. When breaking from running deer or rabbits this is not a serious issue since the chase will continue for awhile and eventually the collar will convince the dog to break off. But in your case I would introduce the collar to the dog so that it understood very well the mechanism and how to make it "turn off" so that you are better assured of an immediate response when the dog takes after the cat.

angie jan

Post by angie jan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:10 am

That make a lot of sense to me. Thank you for your insight.