NEED HELP with 1 yr old GSP

huntin'dave

NEED HELP with 1 yr old GSP

Post by huntin'dave » Mon May 22, 2006 12:53 pm

I got a 7 mo GSP and have just been getting him use to me and the family. Now I want him to be my hunting dog. where should I start. I use to train Labs using the Richard A. Walters method but I've never had or trained a GSP before. I would like him to be an all around hunting dog ( quail, dove, pheasant, ducks-- point, flush and retrieve) Any and all help would be appreciated.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon May 22, 2006 1:25 pm

Dave,

I did labs for years before coming back to pointing dogs. You need to shift your training in a big way.

You want a retriever to be focused on you, the handler. You need a pointing dog to be focused on hunting for birds; if he's focused on you, you might as well kick up the birds yourself.

Also, a lab will take pressure that any pointing dog will fold under. Just the nature of the beast.

Right now, the most important thing is contact with birds. If you can find wild quail to hunt, you're better off than most of us. Hunt him patiently till he's a year or 14 months old, then worry about formal training.

Best regards,

huntin'dave

Post by huntin'dave » Mon May 22, 2006 1:28 pm

Should I do any obediance training yet?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon May 22, 2006 1:33 pm

huntin'dave wrote:Should I do any obediance training yet?
You can and should do light stuff. Make sure the dog knows its name, recall, etc.

The important thing is to get the dog out in the field and let it learn to explore and find birds.

Think "develop what's there" rather than train anything into him.

Regards,

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Mon May 22, 2006 1:41 pm

It will be alot like doing a young retriever.......confidence!!! Easy marks on the retriever, or easy to view through out the whole retrieve, somewhat easy birds, dont woryy about the point and or catch, just get a feel of the dog, and what it is going to do, dont need to talk to it while working birds......let the dog figure it out, dont walk in and point it for the dog, let him learn. If he dont smell right off, walk on, make a big circle, and walk back at a different angle, if he bumps and catches, try and encourage the retrieve.....just like retriever pups, confidence, and of course patience!! Thanks Jonesy

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 22, 2006 1:41 pm

Any dog can be an all around dog. You just have to get them practice.

I would give him light obedience stuff like not jumping up, his name and come. I know some people dont like it but I taught mine sit and heel on a leash. I like to see a dog coughing and hacking at the end of a leash to get on a bird feild but I would also like to see a 4 year old walk my dogs and that is what I have done with mine. Its all personal preferance.

Oh ya congrats on the GSP. Mine is 5 months and a GSP as well.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Mon May 22, 2006 6:17 pm

I suggest you get a book by Paul Long, Training Pointing Dogs.
Its around $8, paperback and easy reading.
Focus on simple yardwork for a while, but one new thing for you is the importance of WHOA. If you start now, and go easy, by fall fido will know what WHOA is.
GSP's have a ton more drive and tend to be more hyper than Labs. You have some adjusting to do, but the both of ya will be fine.
Socialize the dog, introduce him/her to lots of strangers. Work dog on lots of birds (use a check cord at first), and try not to let pup catch a bird.
Read the book, and take your time.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season