Whats your take on a backyard kennel??

OJ10

Whats your take on a backyard kennel??

Post by OJ10 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Hello All!
I am a New member to the Forum, I been training my 1 yr old GSP with a local trainer and he has now kept my dog for 3 months for some indepth training. I get him back very soon (in time for quail season). My question is: Should I fence kennel my GSP in the yard or should I just let him enjoy the yard. He has been a good dog with no bad habits. The reason I ask is because there are tons of doves and crows that visit my yard and spends hours chasing them. Will this affect his hunting??? I am a just a bird hunter I dont compete! I have asked my trainer and he advised me of kenneling him but I want to see what you all think!

My yard measures 60 yds x 30 yds!!
Thanks for your help!!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Whats your take on a backyard kennel??

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 pm

I would say your trainer told you best.Kennels him,too much can happen running loose in the yard things you wouldn't even think of.
Good Luck & enjoy! :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 am

If you are home and watching I would let him run... if hi don't want to always keep tabs, put him in a kennel. Go to lowes Home Depot or any supply store and get a pre fabricated kennel. About $20 in pea gravel, 55 gallon drum for a dog house and your in business.

Good luck.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I kennel my dogs until I get home from work then let them out to run and I have a path worn along side my fence around the entire back yard so even if they don't have bad habits it can still cause you problems. Especially if your a yard person.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Kennel him when not around, otherwise he may run off after one of those birds!

Pig pannels and t-posts make a cheap kennel, and can be much larger than the pre-fab chain link ones.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 pm

My # 1 and #2 dogs have the run of the yard and house all the time, never any ill affects on either of them in 17 years with the oldest.