tips for teaching heel

steamer

tips for teaching heel

Post by steamer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 pm

im working on teaching heel to 17mnth old male gsp. he is doing ok in the yard he will heel draging the short lead some and seems to understand what i want him to do. he turns with me and i can tell he is really trying to do good. he seems to struggle when we leave the yard to go for a walk around town . he seems to get distracted very easy . we've been seriously training heel for about a month . im using a choke chain and short lead walking around the yard changing pace and making turns . my questions are should i be using pinch collar, since he seems to understand what to do should i move to ecollar or should i keep going the way i am or some other way that may be better . any help on this would be great thanks

steamer

Re: tips for teaching heel

Post by steamer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:07 pm

thanks for the reply gpblitz . iv looked at the pinch collars but im not sure what size to buy . what is the proper fit for a pinch collar ? thanks

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Buy one bigger than you need and you can always remove and/or add lengths.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 pm

The main reason i don't use a choke chain (besides our show dogs) is the fear of damaging the trachea. I thin choke chain can do some damage, but a pinch collar can provide a lot of pressure with no injury. A good leather studded pinch collar is what I prefer (for most dogs), and then I transition to an e-collar. Some dogs don't like the pinch collar, so I just stick with the CC and eventually blend it with the e-collar.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 pm

I use clicker training to teach the dog heel. Then when the dog has been trained and fully understands the command i will correct the dog if necessary with the collar like any other command the dog has learned. When the dog has been trained with positive reinforcement he will perform at a higher level.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:26 pm

When you first start t leave the yard just g to the front as soon as the dog begin to get a head turn 45 degrees away from the dog and give the lead a good enough jerk that it gets the dogs attention but not strong enough to physically move the dog. I prefer using the Command Lead has far more control then the pinch collar and has more instant contact then a choke chain.
Always use a light hand and allow the dog to experience the repercussions for trying to take the lead with out permission.
Also work on those commands to cue out front so the dog learns there is more then just being stuck to your side

When you start in a new location work in much smaller sessions get the dog to do the desired and then put on a chain gang or crate for a bit so they can have the time to reflect on a good session...it is important for the dog and also for you

as you can get those smaller outings under control the go further
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 pm

I like a choke chain, but has to be used efficently. You have to use it behind the ears with sharp snaps to get the dogs attn, not just let a dog pull against it...Rest of the time it should be lax until the dog starts to loose concentration. Sharp snap, then praise for being in the right place..
brenda

steamer

Post by steamer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:18 pm

thanks to all for the replies . SNIPS i had a trainer at a navhda day show me the same way that you describe . he told me to pop it not to just pull and choke the dog , kind of like its more the sound and not pain that gets there attention. part of my problem is keeping the chain up high behind the ears . it just slides down his neck .is there a good way to keep it up or do you just keep stoping and sliding it back up . KNINE is the command lead the same as the wonder lead ? i havent used one but know some guys who do and really like the results. thanks again for the help

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Here is a link to a heel training video using the clicker : http://www.youtube.com/user/willowcreek ... iNuDJoCOtM

I have using the clicker for basic obedience seems to work pretty well especially if the pup has a high food drive like my new GSP!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes the command lead is the wonder lead..worlds under the same principal as a choke chain but you can have a little quicker response.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm

another thing thats worth mentioning, don't say heel unless the dog is in the right place doing the right thing.....commanding heel when the dog is out of position isnt effective. Only say heel if the dog is in the right spot, just a quiet heel and atta boy. FWIW.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:23 am

steamer wrote:thanks to all for the replies . SNIPS i had a trainer at a navhda day show me the same way that you describe . he told me to pop it not to just pull and choke the dog , kind of like its more the sound and not pain that gets there attention. part of my problem is keeping the chain up high behind the ears . it just slides down his neck .is there a good way to keep it up or do you just keep stoping and sliding it back up . KNINE is the command lead the same as the wonder lead ? i havent used one but know some guys who do and really like the results. thanks again for the help
I believe your problem may be that you have in on backwards.

I work heel a little differently than some. I only command heel when the dog starts to get OUT of position, or I turn so he knows he is out of position. If he is heeling correctly I MAY praise, but not command.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 am

4dabirds wrote:I use clicker training to teach the dog heel. Then when the dog has been trained and fully understands the command i will correct the dog if necessary with the collar like any other command the dog has learned. When the dog has been trained with positive reinforcement he will perform at a higher level.

That's a good use for the clicker. I taught a dog to bow for the judges with a clicker. Now he bows 5 times whenever he wants something, thinking it will please me. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 am

Sharon wrote:
4dabirds wrote:I use clicker training to teach the dog heel. Then when the dog has been trained and fully understands the command i will correct the dog if necessary with the collar like any other command the dog has learned. When the dog has been trained with positive reinforcement he will perform at a higher level.

That's a good use for the clicker. I taught a dog to bow for the judges with a clicker. Now he bows 5 times whenever he wants something, thinking it will please me. :)
I love it, training with a sense of humor!!!