8 month old Brittany help.

blind squirrel

8 month old Brittany help.

Post by blind squirrel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Skeeter does pretty good when he encounters a live bird, he whoa ok.. Not what I'd like exactly but he's getting there :) anyways when he is on whoa (after he finds the bird) he doesn't put his leg up, should I practice on styling him up for that ? Or will it come over time?
Hunting buddies for a lifetime!!

Your dog is only as good as you train him/her.

Additude reflex leadership!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: 8 month old Brittany help.

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

That is something a dog does or doesn't do naturally
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 pm

blind squirrel wrote:Skeeter does pretty good when he encounters a live bird, he whoa ok.. Not what I'd like exactly but he's getting there :) anyways when he is on whoa (after he finds the bird) he doesn't put his leg up, should I practice on styling him up for that ? Or will it come over time?

Stop whoaing the pup. He will point on his own and that is different than whoa. Let him figure out how to handle a bird while you keep quiet. You will find he will be much more stylish if he does it on his own.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 pm

I've done that, but if I don't say anything within 5-10 seconds he is gunho and trying to catch the bird. Only time he points on his own is when he is like right on the bird..

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:07 pm

blind squirrel wrote:I've done that, but if I don't say anything within 5-10 seconds he is gunho and trying to catch the bird. Only time he points on his own is when he is like right on the bird..
Are you sure you wouldn't like to attend one of OK-NAVHDA's Training Days?

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Take Coveyrise64 up on his offer.

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:25 am

Yes covey, I was told to come check it out on the 16th in munds. I only keep his practice to about an hour and a half max, then we relax and rest for about an hour then get back at it for about 30 minutes of bumper retrieves.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 am

blind squirrel wrote:I've done that, but if I don't say anything within 5-10 seconds he is gunho and trying to catch the bird. Only time he points on his own is when he is like right on the bird..
Pup's need to Flush and chase birds and figure out they can't catch them, take covey rise's advice and attend a NAVHDA Training day

also sounds like you are using pretty tame birds which a lot of us have to deal with from time to time in training but a good solution for that is using a launcher, I know the Electronic one's are pricy but you could get a Manual one for pretty cheap, also if you have access to wild birds that will be even better, not as controlled but will teach the pup a ton about hunting and handling birds.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 am

blind squirrel wrote:Yes covey, I was told to come check it out on the 16th in Mounds. I only keep his practice to about an hour and a half max, then we relax and rest for about an hour then get back at it for about 30 minutes of bumper retrieves.
But do you plan to attend is the big question? Before you start your training you should have a plan or goals established on what you want to achieve. Then, it isn't so much about how long you train it is what you get accomplished. Hope we can point you in the right direction.

Coveyrise64

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:Yes covey, I was told to come check it out on the 16th in Mounds. I only keep his practice to about an hour and a half max, then we relax and rest for about an hour then get back at it for about 30 minutes of bumper retrieves.
But do you plan to attend is the big question? Before you start your training you should have a plan or goals established on what you want to achieve. Then, it isn't so much about how long you train it is what you get accomplished. Hope we can point you in the right direction.

Coveyrise64

Maybe he feels like if he shows up no one will help him. Nobody likes to be the new kid at the homecoming dance.

I have my puppy owner and his teenage cousin that I have invited to your training day and if I can get a firm commitment out of either or both, I will come with them (yes,that's a threat and yes, Parker will be with me).

Most everyone feels when they go to something like a training day that all that is going to happen is they will be ignored or told everything they do is wrong.

By the way, be mean to me and I will get a Boykin and start showing up on a regular basis! :mrgreen:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

I do plan on coming out covey. My main goal with skeeter is to have a hunting dog who will find birds, hold them, and then retrieve.. Everytime!! From pheasants, quail, dove, duck (never hunted ducks tho). That's why I think the OKNAVHDA is something we both need. I don't want to compete just want a good bird dog, and be a good trainer.. AND know what I'm doing :).. And gittrdone thank you. Do you own a remote launcher? I want to get one, but I'm also training on a buget lol.
I have been using tame birds. I was using pigeons but was told should switch it up so I got 6 quail only have one left. Might go ahead and look for more wild birds, want to introduce him to pheasant soon. We are heading to Kansas in November.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 am

You do need a plan, but if it were me and I had the wild birds come August, I would have that dog in the fields, woods whatever and let the PUPPY learn from the birds and you keep you mouth closed no whoaing at this point. The whoa is only to keep the Puppy stopped/steady. It does not need to be a verbal que either. (A launcher, helper, good flying bird.) The pup already knows what to do and the birds know what to do.

Attend the OK NAVHDA learn get the dog on birds on a check cord, don't speak to the dog too much, Learn the process. You can do all your yard type work, you can do some stop to flush drills, you can do recall and handling drills, you can do duck work, etc.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:39 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64

Maybe he feels like if he shows up no one will help him. Nobody likes to be the new kid at the homecoming dance.

I have my puppy owner and his teenage cousin that I have invited to your training day and if I can get a firm commitment out of either or both, I will come with them (yes,that's a threat and yes, Parker will be with me).

Most everyone feels when they go to something like a training day that all that is going to happen is they will be ignored or told everything they do is wrong.

By the way, be mean to me and I will get a Boykin and start showing up on a regular basis! :mrgreen:
I hope you get there before I lock the gate.......... :mrgreen:

Now you tell me when you were ever neglected at the one training day you attended! I personally spent close to an hour trying to educate you. By the way, what's up with the patched roans in your avatar? I thought you liked a little pointer in yours........ :roll: :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 am

I do you use Remote Launchers, and they are pricy but you could pick up a scott's manual launcher for like 60 bucks, Pigeons are great for training most won't let a dog get to close, Quail can be great or terrible :? if they don't fly well or they are too tame.
and dido on the Plan thing, Wanting a dog that points solid and retrieves is good but you have to have a plan step by step on how to get there, what books or videos have you seen to help you get an idea on what to do ?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:02 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote: Maybe he feels like if he shows up no one will help him. Nobody likes to be the new kid at the homecoming dance.

I hope you get there before I lock the gate.......... :mrgreen:

Now you tell me when you were ever neglected at the one training day you attended! I personally spent close to an hour trying to educate you. By the way, what's up with the patched roans in your avatar? I thought you liked a little pointer in yours........ :roll: :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
Exactly! That's the point! It's not that you are asking someone to come watch you work your high level dogs! You are inviting someone to learn what they can get out of your organization and will make a personal effort to see that they get questions answered and know what is going on.

I even invited Casey and Two's trainer and told him to call you. A lot of people want versatile working dogs, dove, duck, pheasant, and the training biz is changing. NAVHDA is a good place to see the ideal of what some people are wanting. Why, just yesterday when I had those two goat eyed noodleheads in my avatar up to visit their daddy, we were talking about how people want house manners on dogs in for field training. Parker got to demonstrate the heel and sit stay!

It's all about helping people find their niche. Mine happens to be horses, I'm learning. They LOVE me. It's all about the cookies! :mrgreen:

Now, go practice your warm, welcoming hug and I'm going back to petitioning for a Quail Forever/Pheasants Forever vanity plate in Oklahoma! :mrgreen:

Oh, and since I've had to start riding a horse, I'm getting better at climbing and can make it over most gates!

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 am

I have two upland bird books, and one just on britts, another one called gun dog. I have a two videos from Scott miller, and I have one from apple valley or apple wood (apple something) kennels. Covey I should be there, unless something comes up this week from work.. Otherwise I might help you UNlock the gate lol. I'm excited about the training day. Where is a good place to purchase a launcher?

blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 am

Casey I'd sign that petition!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am

blind squirrel wrote:Casey I'd sign that petition!!
I'll keep that in mind. :D The Oklahoma quail vanity plate fee goes to the OWD to support non-game wildlife projects. We don't have good QF/PF participation in this state and I think a tag would be a good, passive way for hunters to support habitat efforts. OWD cut loose a million bucks to study quail decline, but it's going to be dedicated out west. Helllllllloooooooooo! We need it in Central and Eastern Oklahoma, too. The Indian Territory Quail Forever chapter has done some work with the GRDA on power easements that has proven successful, but a lot more needs to be done.