Questions to Ask a Trainer!

Onk

Questions to Ask a Trainer!

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:06 pm

After my ordeal with my first ever dealings with a "pro" trainer, I thought it would be a good idea to start a link about what questions a newbie should ask a trainer before picking them to train your dog. Looking back I see now some things I should have done differant to save my pup from the ordeal I put him in!

It might also be a good idea to post some ways a person can check out a trainer before using them!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

gittrdonebritts

Re: Questions to Ask a Trainer!

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:21 pm

All ways All ways ask for References from former Clients, If you wanna really see how things work around his place ask to come visit and show up a few days early, ask detailed questions about how he is going to train, like how do you teach Whoa ? Do you use an E-collar and how do you use it ? What he Feeds, how often does he clean the Kennels ? does he do all the training or does he have a helper ? And ask if he has any kind of contract, And at the end just go with your Gut if it sounds to good to be true ..........It Probably is .............
Just like Marriage :wink:
Joe

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Talk to others who have used the prospective trainer's services. Go to the facility and hang around a few hours while dogs are worked. You'll get a better idea of what goes on that way than from questioning.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 pm

How many other dogs will he/she be training at the same time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Make sure they have good dogs. Make sure they trained them and are not just claiming they did the training (yes call other trainers and ask if they know who trained the dog or previously owned it). Watch the person train dogs that are not good and watch for the dog to completely mess up. See how the handler corrects it when he does. (I have seen a "trainer" full on football tackle a dog in a field and lay on it...

I would get a reference from the trainers trainer and see how they describe them. Get references for 20 customers to make sure they are not just giving you the best customer who brought their broke dog for training... also check out trainers who will extend the program for your dog without charging you extra. I have seen a few dogs that were slower to developed and instead of speeding through they just extended the program and did not charge an extra dime.

After sending my pup to a guy that couldn't train a dead dog to be still and getting screwed over.. I spent 30-40 days with my dogs current trainer before I had my dog with him for an extended time. I learned a lot from him and go up and help 3-4 days a week.

No better the dog they are all kept in top shaped and roaded consistently without extra charge. Granted if you want your dog on a specific food you have to provide it or pay extra. Ohhh and he returns calls lol.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 pm

http://www.kountryboykennel.com/

If you get the brittany magazine you will find kevin in there with pups and dogs that he is handling.

Plus people who refer him..Oh Wait you might be leery of some of those people :lol:

But yes go visit and see them and see how dogs respond to him ASK questions the only stupid one is the one you don't ask...That is YOUR pup and YOUR money
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 pm

funny you mention that knine, I have the mag looking at it right now. He is pictured on page 33, don't think the first trainer was even in the white pages! :lol:

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

you want a funnier laugh add an "s" to kennel in Kevins web address... I did have to rib Kevin about that
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

I did that first thing...my GAWD I thought you were going to try and make my Dex one tough SOB!

http://kountryboykennels.com/

Here is the bird dog trainer knine is trying to get me to use, take a look! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Onk on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm

I told Kevin he looked tanner on line and his dogs looked like he fed them steroids :lol: :lol:

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 am

I agree everything ultracarry said. Maybe because I use the same trainer. I got to know this guy. I hung out with him and saw how he trained dogs. Saw his interaction with clients, how he was around dogs, not just the ones he was training, but all dogs. I listened how he spoke about other trainers and other dogs. I Asked questions about training methods, how long he has been training and why he got into dogs. I got to know this guy on a personal level before I even consider sending my dog with him. I have a beyond sweet deal with this pro. I get to help him train my dog and others (training me how to train dogs) for next to nothing. My advice to you is to talk to people on here, find a pro they recommend, then get to know the person. Just because someone has a business card and a logo on their truck doesn't mean they know how to train dogs.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:19 am

geitterdone britts and ultracarry had some good posts.

GO TO HIS KENNEL. Watch the dog's around him. Are they cowed and afraid or happy to see him?

How are the kennels for cleanliness? A spotless kennel means he cares about his dog's and will take the same care of him he does of the kennel.

Will he TRAIN YOU TO TRAIN YOUR DOG? Very important. You must know how to reinforce what he has taught.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:32 am

kninebirddog wrote:you want a funnier laugh add an "s" to kennel in Kevins web address... I did have to rib Kevin about that
I just laughed out loud. That's great!!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:50 am

Onk,
Sorry to hear about your pup. I think an important question is how many different breeds of dogs and number of dogs trained. It matters that they train all breeds, soft or tough, big running, and/or medium range, etc...... All dogs are different, but an experienced trainer can identify what will be the most sucessful methods for individual dogs.
It would be nice to have client references as well. Watching people train is not always the best idea, because some people will act different while others are watching.
You might also call someone early in the summer months, and that is the only time to train. If they aren't awake then you know they aren't getting up early to train.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:11 pm

I think you do well with word of mouth. You can ask questions of the trainer, but it's better to talk to past clients and even *gasp* competitors in the same field. I think you have to know the person pretty well before you let them take your dog. I first met Jon and Cindy Hann at a dog training seminar in 2002 - and was very impressed with how they handled dogs. They were no-nonsense about telling the owner "how it is" with the dog and they are the most humane trainers I've ever worked with (though Jonesy on here is a good one too). I always liked when Jon would say "we train the dogs that come to us" and they don't "high grade" and just choose the dogs that would be "winners" or easy to train. They train for all levels of competition - and folks I know in the community don't mind running against them - one of the judges for my last MH test said Jon and Cindy trained his dogs!

I guess it comes down to reputation and doing due diligence in finding out what type of trainer a guy (or gal) is. Lots of questions, at least a couple visits to the kennel, and good communication of your expectations. Money may come into play at some point because I know some trainers charge a lot more than others - and sometimes you can get a good guy with a good head on his shoulders (like Jonesy) that won't "break the bank." But to me, money is secondary to knowing your dog is in a good, positive situation.

That's what I'd say.

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Make sure they are not just training the dog - Part of thier job is to train YOU to train your dog. Too many trainers train the dog and the owner gets out on a hunt and the owner is clueless how to deal with the dog. Dont be the poor guy or gal screaming whoa and tapping your dog all the time.

Also, make sure they train for what you want to do. Are you going to run in some trials or are you hunting your dog. Two different skill sets imho.

Good luck. I feel very fortunate with my trainer and hope you get the same level of calm I have.

noob

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:58 am

nooblet wrote:Make sure they are not just training the dog - Part job is to train YOU

noob
Well noob, I would say that this trainer at least did train me! Trained me at what to watch for and to follow my gut! Will never not follow my gut again!

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:42 am

Onk why not train the pup yourself? A britt with good bloodlines is pretty easy to train.
Birddog 307

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:43 pm

He won't be a finished dog and I will be training him. I want a lot of bird work at a young age with this pup and I am unable to put a quantity of birds in front of this pup. As a first time pup owner, if the help is available and I can afford to pay for the knowledge and toolage.....I think the better question to ask would be why wouldnt I do this! I worked this pup from the day I got him on check cord, leash, kennel, retrieve and socializing so its not like I am buying a pup and handing it to someone and saying "Here call me when he's done.". We all have bought dvd's, books and mags to use as training tools because we look at the pro's in them as a source of knowledge. The trainer is not only training the dog, he is also training me and that could be the hard part! :lol: