Getting GSP to sit still and retrieve only when released

sigav8r

Getting GSP to sit still and retrieve only when released

Post by sigav8r » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:07 am

So I have my GSP sitting on command (most of the time). However she does not like to sit still for longer than about 5 seconds. Like having an A.D.D. kid on caffeine pretty much! I plan on taking her out dove hunting this year. However, I kind of need her to sit still at my side until it's time to retrieve. Also, I need to teach her to retrieve only when I release her (so she doesn't go retrieving other people's shot birds). What's the best way to address these two issues? Or how have some of you guys done this with your dogs? Right now, I take her out and play fetch (using tennis balls, dokken trainers, canvas/plastic dummies, etc) and I make her sit while I toss the "toy". She will whine like crazy (I think she ties with the 9 year old child in whinniness!) until she's released to go fetch. How can I calm her down in this regard?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Getting GSP to sit still and retrieve only when released

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:11 am

I'd maybe try sitting the dog then throwing half a dozen bumpers, toys and balls all around the dog. Then I'd leave the dog sitting and pick up every single item myself. The dog would then be walked away or put back in the kennel or in the car. I think it is the dogs expectation of a coming retrieve that causes the restlessness. I'd take away some of that expectation. Eventually, when the dog calms down or even gets to thinking, " This boring exercise has got nothing to do with me getting a retrieve." I'd pick all the articles myself as usual but I'd leave one lying out and send the dog for that one maybe one time out of three. The other two times I'd walk the dog away as usual then leave it sitting once more while I walked back and picked that last article myself.

P.S. will your dog sit and stay for any length of time if there is no bumper thrown ? If not then teach that first.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 am

hi, i dont know if youve watched it yet but watch my video of my gsp pup jersey waiting to be released on a bumper..shes 6 months old and will wait quite a while until released..what we did was KEEP HER ON A CHECK CORD while practicing, we didnt ever teach her sit so i cant help you with that, we taught her WHOA and HEEL and had her stand beside us while being held on a check cord, throw the dummy and dont pay any attention to her excitement (YOU WANT HER TO BE EXCITED :!: ) so DONT ever correct or demand her to calm down, you will take her drive away by doing that..i wouldnt want a pup or dog that didnt show excitment when training as a matter of fact we get jersey all worked up and excited at times when throwing the dummy..so all in all my advice would be first make sure she knows her commands well, then check cord her in the heel postition next to you, throw the dummy and tell her WHOA or STAY whichever one you use and then use your release command example: FETCH, let the check cord out long enough for her to go after it then get her excited to come back to you with it, if she goes in another direction you have her on the check cord to pull her into to you..its all about fun so that she wants more and more...JM2CENTS...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

sigav8r

Post by sigav8r » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks for your responses guys. Yeah, I don't punish or admonish her excitement, just trying to get her to settle down a little and learn that she'll get more opportunities by sitting still/calming down. I think I will try tossing her retrieve items out and either picking them up myself or having the 9 year old "retrieve" them to teach the dog they're not all hers. I just read an article about that so I will have to try that.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:18 pm

I've been doing the same thing as Ruth although we've just started with steadiness this week, but she's getting it down pretty good. Ruth did Jersey retrieve to hand right away, or did you need to reel her in with a check cord. my pup Chloe is nuts about going and getting them, but does need reeled in a lot of times. Is this really accomplishing anything with all the tangling and fighting the rope on the way in?

Ruth, do you intend to eventually teach your girl sit, or will you just let her natural sit or whoa her in the duck blind?

-John

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:41 pm

This is what I would try if it was my dog. Take out a bucket or stool for my self to sit on. Have the dog sit next to you while on a check cord or leash then throw the bumper. Sit there and don't say anything to the dog just make sure the dog stays with you. It might take a long while but give the dog the retrieve once it acts right. Once you do that a couple time the dog will start to realize that it will not get the retrieve until its calm.
Last edited by bhairhoger on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:00 pm

sigav8r wrote:So I have my GSP sitting on command (most of the time). However she does not like to sit still for longer than about 5 seconds.
Start here. Never mind the dummies - high temptation - get the dog to have patience and calmly wait for your release. Then introduce distractions in a controlled environment. Only when you have this down solid can you start with the retrieving.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 pm

It's simple, unyielding obedience and common sense.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 pm

You can start by teaching your pup to stand & wait to be released before running,leaving his crate,kennel,car etc.once he learns to wait for the release command then move on to the water.
Here is a young man & 5 mo old pup he has taught & you can see with out alot of pressure by her tail,it's not down or between her legs.To me this is a sign of enjoying what she has been taught,her & Tom have built a close relationship.She was a present to him by his parents,to help him recover from a serious accident & injury.Looks like both pup & Tom are benefitting from it.
Bella is out of Star's (my avatar dog)first litter.Have fun & good luck with your pup. :D

http://youtu.be/GxcOBPw9jlI

gsppurist

Post by gsppurist » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:51 pm

I have a similar problem with my GSP during duck season, I had great difficulty getting him to stay still although he was only one year old. I finally left him off the leash for the 3/4 mile hike to the river, let him burn some energy at the beginning greatly decreased his errors from over-excitement.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:25 am

mcclinj wrote:I've been doing the same thing as Ruth although we've just started with steadiness this week, but she's getting it down pretty good. Ruth did Jersey retrieve to hand right away, or did you need to reel her in with a check cord. my pup Chloe is nuts about going and getting them, but does need reeled in a lot of times. Is this really accomplishing anything with all the tangling and fighting the rope on the way in?

Ruth, do you intend to eventually teach your girl sit, or will you just let her natural sit or whoa her in the duck blind?

-John
Hey john, sorry i just saw this today looking through old posts :D ..no she didnt always retrieve to hand, for a while she would drop it about 5 feet in front of me but it was my fault cause what i realized i was doing was walking to her when she dropped it a few feet in front of me and praise her cause i was just happy she came that far but i wasnt realizing i was teaching her that it was "close enough" so i corrected that by going over and picking it up put it back in her mouth and told her HOLD then told her MINE and she put it in my hand, not too many times after that she started retrieving to hand more reliably.. she retrieves to hand more reliably in the water then in the field but we are working on that and going to FF her..i have now taught her "hup" as a sit command for in the blind and on the boat and she has not had any issues in the field as of now :D ....ruth

i should also add that she is whistle trained for "release", "come in" and "whoa" as well....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Once a dog realizes that a shot means dead birds getting them to be steady takes more practice

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Why would you put the cart before the horse? Teach the dog the whoa command first. Why would you expect a dog to understand you want the dog to whoa when you have not taught the dog whoa? Is the dog a pointing dog ? When the dog breaks point what command are you going to use? Fetch! If you do not teach the dog to whoa how would you expect the dog to understand being corrected when the dog breaks ? Retrieving is the last thing the dog will do in the sequence of hunting birds. Why would you teach it first ?? Dog will not come to you. Command whoa ,go get the dog. Dog heading for road command whoa, dog lives Dog ranging to far command whoa , catch up to the dog. Dog will not relinquish bird ,command whoa go get bird. WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. With the DOG only say it once.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 pm

When happens when she leaves before being released? It should a firm clear message of displeasure and a pulling in on that check cord that is attached.My dogs are not to leave their cages in the back of the van until released. It doesn't matter that they are very excited to get going. If one, gives me the finger, I'm on him like a ton of bricks (No hitting of course.) but I make it clear that I'm not pleased and you'd better get your *** back in the van. There a time for loving a dog up, but there a time too for firmness.

PS Caffeine calms ADD in kids and adults. All stimulants work in the way. That's why many of these kids like the illegal drug speed.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 am

Sharon wrote:When happens when she leaves before being released? It should a firm clear message of displeasure and a pulling in on that check cord that is attached.My dogs are not to leave their cages in the back of the van until released. It doesn't matter that they are very excited to get going. If one, gives me the finger, I'm on him like a ton of bricks (No hitting of course.) but I make it clear that I'm not pleased and you'd better get your *** back in the van. There a time for loving a dog up, but there a time too for firmness.

PS Caffeine calms ADD in kids and adults. All stimulants work in the way. That's why many of these kids like the illegal drug speed.
if the dog moves before being released you notify and correct the dog" say whoa and correct" that is only if the dog knows and understands whoa. You should not correct for something you have not taught the dog. There is no reason to get angry at a dog they only know what you teach them .And why would you give the dog caffeine?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 am

LOL No don't give the dog caffeine. I was referring to the first post where the member talked about caffeine and ADD. :)

Definately never react in anger ; I was speaking of a controlled firmness.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Aries

Post by Aries » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 pm

This video helped me.
Look or the one Steadying Your Gun Dog http://www.gundogmag.com/video/