Crates

fleetmanager

Crates

Post by fleetmanager » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:47 am

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap Vari large crate? It seems like they are running about 79.00 most places. :(

I'm getting a new Lab pup on the 24th and need to get all his goodies bought. :D

Thanks

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:58 am

The absolute cheapest place I could find a good crate was from eBay. No kidding. Just check the sellers, and the ones that are selling multiple brand new crates are actually stores getting rid of overstock inventory and the such, or stores with no bricks & morter storefront. I got a Midwest Lifestages 42" crate with the divider panel and plastic pan all cheaper than what I could find in any store (including shipping). But really, check out the seller first and make sure they're selling new crates, and more than one (as to suggest that they do this all the time).

For large items, eBay was the best route. For other items, try out http://www.lcsupply.com . Between them and http://www.gundogsupply.com , I think you should be able to find just about anything you need.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

fleetmanager

Post by fleetmanager » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:11 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do a search on EBAY and see what they have.

I'll check out the other sights also.

:P

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:08 pm

Good `ol Wally World is about as good as any. I get a Lg there for around 54.
brenda

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:34 pm

I posted this reply in the other place you asked. But, that's ok, I'll just repeat myself again! I went online and checked just about everywhere - I swear! I found the cheapest at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/[url].

Good luck shopping!

Caren[/url]

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:35 pm

Fleet unless you are getting a far below normal size lab go ahead and get the extra large! That's a very comfy fit for a seventy plus lbs dog. For extended stays the larg gets pretty cramped on larger dogs. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

fleetmanager

Post by fleetmanager » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:37 am

OOPS!

I already ordered the large one and the sales person said they can't change the order. They said I would have to order the xl and return the Large when I receive it. Talk about shipping charges. :(

Oh well, I guess I'll be buying the XL once he grows out of the large one.

Thanks

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:41 am

Don't be too upset about ordering one that's gonna be too small. WHen I got my GSP pup, I got what was I guess a large crate, and then ended up getting one of the XLs. But, on the plus side, now I have a smaller collapsible crate to bring with me when I go somewhere and when I get a second pup I have the smaller crate for house-breaking purposes. So, rest assured that all is not lost.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:46 am

my 95+ pound lab actually prefers the large to the x-large that my husband and friends are STILL making fun of me for buying to "make the dog more comfortable." dogs like dens, and when a 5 year old, a 2 year old, AND your humongo lab can fit in the x-large, the "den effect" may get a little lost in the process. humans like large spaces, but many dogs actually prefer the smaller ones. i would just hang onto it, and then if for whatever reason he seems unusually uncomfortable, or turns into a great dane, then go up. but seriously, my DK and my gsp can BOTH ride in a LARGE more than comfortably, and they are NOT small animals. however, i also dont think you should leave dogs in crates for unusually extended amounts of time, so it is hard for me to justify buying crates that are like small dog runs for my dogs. then again, i only have to use crates as a place to sleep at night or a place to hang out while i am out of the house when the dogs are home alone to prevent those unwanted surprises that tend to be there when you get home :wink: . good luck !
sudie

fleetmanager

Post by fleetmanager » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:39 pm

Sudie,

Thanks for the info, I feel alot better. :hello1: I will only be using the crate as you say. I will have a large kennel on the side of the house for his outside stays and a Dogloo to sleep in. I'll use the crate to transport him and for use inside the house.

Thanks again for everyones responses, they are very helpful.

Fleet