Suburbanite training questions

Lukenbill

Suburbanite training questions

Post by Lukenbill » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:39 am

I have an 8 month old english springer spaniel that I've been working with on my own since we brought her home. I've read many articles on training, watched a few of the DVD's and read the "Urban Gundog" training book. So I'm still a novice, but a least a little more informed. My dog's doing great with her training and I'm nothing but impressed with how well she's learning despite my lack of abilities but I'm worried that I'm going to run into a wall with my abilities to train her to the next level.

Currently she's in the process of mastering everything up through retrieving on the quarter. Next on the list is working with birds and introduction to gunfire (ie poppers/blanks/primers...she's only done cap guns so far). This is where I'm concerned I'm going to lack resources.

I'd like to get her working with birds before I introduce her to gunfire but I live in a development on the edge of town. I don't have the area for a proper pigeon coup and there aren't any clubs that I'm aware of around me. Taking her to somewhere that would train her professionally the rest of the way isn't really an option as she's also very much a family dog and isn't bread specifically for hunting. Would it be beneficial to just take her to a local game preserve and have them plant some chukar for me and do that once every couple of weeks to mix it in with her dummy training?

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most effective way to get her to work her way up to hunting ruffed grouse and pheasants and still be able to work on training on a fairly regular basis.

Secondly, any tips on asking complete strangers (farmers and development owners) if I could use their unused field/CRP land for training my pup?

Thank you in advance for any help your able to provide!

Dashin Gun Dogs

Re: Suburbanite training questions

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 am

Do a search for the organization that handles CRP ground in your area. I put in a request, and they sent me a list of names. I never have been afraid to ask. The worse they can say is no, or up until deer season you can use my ground. If you find some ground, they may let you put a little 10 bird pigeon coup up. You would be surprised of the older people that love to have you work dogs on their land; it reminds them of their younger days.

You might find a local trainer that is will to let you help them, and they will help you. I have always enjoyed others like minded individuals coming to flush birds or shoot for me.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:28 pm

i would try getting a hold of a member from this NAVHDA site and they can lead you to the appropriate folks..all birddog people know someone who knows someone :wink: after a few calls i bet you get connected with the right group, hunting grounds and mentor to give ya a hand with your pup..good luck....ruth

http://www.mnnavhda.com/
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Geez,

You're in the heart of Pheasants Forever Country. Join the local chapter and you will have tons of resources to work with - land, equipment, other trainers. It's the easiest way to meet other folks who are interested in birddogs and dog training and pure hunting that I know of. www.pheasantsforever.org.

sigav8r

Post by sigav8r » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:02 pm

I have a similar situation. What I do is take my pup to some flat open area around our community and plant a bird for her. I bought a critter cage on craigslist (about 3x4x3) to keep a few pigeons. I card the birds now until I can find a place to trap more and then I'll just let them fly away. I keep the pigeons in the cage in my back yard. I'm also looking for more land to use and need to go knock on some doors. I have a few plots around me, but it's 100 degrees in TX (at least my part of it) so there's not much going on outdoors for now.

Mollyontherun

Re: Preserve

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:32 am

Would it be beneficial to just take her to a local game preserve and have them plant some chukar for me and do that once every couple of weeks
At eight months is she ready to hunt? I've read some posts where folks describe their dogs are productive hunters at that young age. In our case, neither of my dogs were field/hunt ready until they reached about 1.5 years. Looking back, I can see where I expected too much too soon. You're obviously well prepared by your own study and research. So just a friendly reminder about realistic expectations with a pup :)

On the other hand, if she is ready to hunt... I personally think that going to a live preserve once a week is a great way for the dog to learn. Most likely a lot of fun for you and your dog too!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 pm

I live in the city too. I keep 6-8 pigeons in my garage in a pen. They don't come back , but at $1.50 a bird it is a reasonable price to pay for a training opportunity.
Pen has to be cleaned a couple times a week.

I move from pigeons to chukars which I pick up on my way to a conservation area.( Can't use Bob whites in ON.)

I use a starter pistol until the hunting season opens. No way to shoot here, even on private property outside the city limits, as there is no shooting except during hunting season in specified areas and at gun clubs.

It 's not great but it does the job in turning out a good hunting dog.

There may be a bylaw against having pigeons in my garage but I haven't had time to read it yet. :wink:

PS Happy Canada Day - 1867 July1
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Sharon wrote:PS Happy Canada Day - 1867 July1
:P :P :P :P

phoenix

Re: Preserve

Post by phoenix » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Mollyontherun wrote:
Would it be beneficial to just take her to a local game preserve and have them plant some chukar for me and do that once every couple of weeks
At eight months is she ready to hunt? I've read some posts where folks describe their dogs are productive hunters at that young age. In our case, neither of my dogs were field/hunt ready until they reached about 1.5 years. Looking back, I can see where I expected too much too soon. You're obviously well prepared by your own study and research. So just a friendly reminder about realistic expectations with a pup :)

On the other hand, if she is ready to hunt... I personally think that going to a live preserve once a week is a great way for the dog to learn. Most likely a lot of fun for you and your dog too!
I think most bird dogs can hunt at 8 months, however, you have to remember that even the best at 8 monthers are training during the hunt. its far from a gentlemans day a field. At 1.5 years old you could have a pretty solid derby that just needs finishing. Alter that birds will teach the dog more than you ever could. My two cents anyway!
fg

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:02 pm

8 month old pups should be in the field but may not do everything you want sobe prepared. But many will give you a darn good day.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.