Choosing a DVD for training a flushing lab

quanah labs

Choosing a DVD for training a flushing lab

Post by quanah labs » Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I am picking up my field bred labrador pup in mid June and I could really use some advice on picking out a good training DVD. My new pup is from versatile blood lines consisting of a BDC competitive flushing dame and a field trial retrieving champion stud. I plan on hunting dove, duck, and pheasant so I would really like to find a training DVD that focuses on both retriever and flusher training. I am confident that my pup is going to be more than capable of mastering these three different types of birds based on the pedigree of her parents and with talking to the breeder, but I'm not as confident that I can properly train her without a little professional help. Thanks in advance for your time!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Choosing a DVD for training a flushing lab

Post by Sharon » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Evan Graham's Smart Fetch Series

http://rushcreekpress.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed May 11, 2011 10:05 pm

"New Beginnings: The First Year - Training the Upland Retriever" By George Hickox

http://www.georgehickox.com/about_georg ... x_dvd.html

Nitrex

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sat May 14, 2011 5:10 am

Me I'd buy a couple of books DVD's etc and read them first- i started years ago with Wolter and still refer to him BUT he's a bit outdated and heartily bashed these days-I now start folks with Johnson and Loveland- Milner basic- 10 Min Retriever-dahl's-Barlow's brit training book and several others- many folks will tell you to get one source and stick with it- that's fine but i like to see what else is out there.y labs hunt upland Sept 1-march and ducks for around 60 days- their good enough for me

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info I'm going to get a few books and start reading them asap, I ordered "Training the upland retriever by George Hickock" the other day but I think a good book we also help. I am so ready to start this gun dog challenge that I can bearly wait untill it's time to pick my pup so maybe reading and watching some expert trainers train will help pass the time and start me off on the right foot

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun May 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Glad to hear you are excited and ready to get training. I would recommend that you pick one method and go with it. If you try to mix and match, you'll end up with a confused dog.

Good Luck...

Nitrex

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Mon May 16, 2011 9:49 am

I ordered "Training the upland retriever by George Hickock" a few days ago and I was wondering if anyone else has used this video and if so what there opinion is of it?