Mistakes to avoid in gun dog training.

lucas85

Mistakes to avoid in gun dog training.

Post by lucas85 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:17 am

What mistakes would you tell the person who is just starting a gun dog training to avoid? I mean the things that would ruin all/part of future training.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Mistakes to avoid in gun dog training.

Post by Trekmoor » Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 am

Loss of temper. Impatience. Failure to look at things from a dogs point of view.
I've been guilty of at least two of these faults from time to time.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 am

Half an hour daily is better than three hours on Saturday. Don't train angry.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 11, 2011 11:14 am

I havent been training with birddogs for many years at all (8), so still LOTS to learn but i would have to say my biggest mistake was spending all my time training the pup alone and forgetting to socialize him..he spent way to much time with just me or just my husband and became anti social quickly..i would tell someone starting out with ANY pup not just a gundog to bring it EVERYWHERE and let it hear noises, let other people walk it, feed it, let it see different people, explore and gain confidence or you will regret it....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Don't cut corners on breeding. Pick a pedigree, not a price tag.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 11, 2011 12:44 pm

lucas85 wrote:What mistakes would you tell the person who is just starting a gun dog training to avoid? I mean the things that would ruin all/part of future training.

Pick a breeding program not just papers

Be fair be a leader not a dictator

When starting out make sessions short and end on good notes ..Better a short quality session then a long pushed the dog to boredom sessions
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Loss of temper and YELLING.

Patience.

Buying a pup and beginning training without buying and UNDERSTANDING a training program.

Over training.

Brutality.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Rather than focus on mistakes to avoid, I would like to mention things you will need to do in a positive way.

First and foremost...this is supposed to be fun for you and it had BETTER BE enjoyable for the dog or you ain't gonna get very far. You need to get and keep a well developed sense of humor because all manner of crazy S&it is gonna happen and you are gonna have to deal with it in a positive way. Keep looking on the bright side...keep smiling. Keep having fun with your dog and your dog will enjoy having fun with you.

Make real good friends with the dog before you do anything else. If a dog likes you it will stay with you and work with you and for you. If it don't...it won't. Simple as that.

A puppy can do NO WRONG. REPEAT A puppy can do NO WRONG. Keep smiling even though it might hurt a little. Did I say patience and persisitence??

A young dog needs guidance from a trusted friend...not punishment from a mean taskmaster. You can be demanding without being harsh. Persisitence and patience with a sense of humor.

Just becasue a dog did what you want, the way you want one time, two times or even three times, that does not mean the dog fully understands what you want. Patience and persistence(Yeah I already said that, but I need to remind myself too). Yeah...I suck at the patience thing too.

Last but certainly not least...NEVER, EVER brag on your dog ...until it is dead. It will make a liar out of you, if you do, sure as the sun comes up in the morning. :D :D
Did I mention about having a well developed sense of humor?

In all seriousness and sincerity...your dog is gonna do some stuff that will screw up its training. YOU are goona do some stuff that will screw up your dog's training too. If the dog likes you and trusts you and wants to be around you, it will get past those screwups(theirs AND yours) without taking them to heart. At the end of the day, if the dog likes you and you like the dog, you will get to where you need to be.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 11, 2011 6:14 pm

IF you want an independent hunter who has learned his trade through experience , DON'T talk so much. Let pup learn.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed May 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Giving a command the dog doesn't understand- or giving one you are not in a position to enforce

Correcting a dog when it doesn't know what it did, like spanking a dog cause it peed on the carpet 3 hours ago.

Over use of the e-collar

Not having fun

getting a pup then buying a training book/DVD right before you want to start training get several books/DVD's before you get the dog read or watch them then bring pup home

not having a "game" Plan

Quill Gordon

Post by Quill Gordon » Wed May 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Avoid vodka & skunks while training :?

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Wed May 11, 2011 8:32 pm

DO NOT expose to gunfire until you have a clue what the heck you are doing.
Dogs are made gunshy, they do not come that way.
Work on the obedience & control until it is automatic. If you cannot control the dog, the rest is just academic!

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Wed May 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Keep training sessions short and focused. Be patient and keep your mouth closed. I am new at this, and am still learning something everyday.
Just because the books says so doesn't mean it is going to happen that way with your dog that day. Did I mention patience.

djloder

Post by djloder » Thu May 12, 2011 6:40 am

Learn to listen!!! That idea might not seem like a good idea today but it might a year from now.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:51 am

depending on the dog the amount of birds they see or dont see. letting or alowing the the dog to catch birds. try to always use good flying birds,homers if you can get them. a lot of people tend to over do it with birds in the field, if the dog has worked 2-3 birds good QUIT dont keep going because you may have a couple extra birds in the box. know when to quit.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:27 am

Train with a plan and preferably a system in mind supported by a person with experience and or readily accessible training information. Cut you expectations in half for the first two years so that failure doesn't tweak your patience and temper and immediate success doesn't blind you. Do not train unless your mind is on it and you are motivated.