Pointing Dog Retrieve Training

cmc274

Pointing Dog Retrieve Training

Post by cmc274 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 pm

A question for those that enjoy training their pointing dogs in the retrieve aspect. Beyond force fetch, what type of retrieve training do you do with you dogs and how much time do you spend on it? What kind of drills do you do? Wagonwheel, blinds, casts? What are your end goals?

Its starting to be summer in the south plus, so we have gravitated towards water for exercise. For land retrieving work, I started with heel alignment on a placeboard exercises and moved on to a 4 spoke wagonwheel. We will also do repeated singles & doubles in the water for exercise. I have noticed a few things that will require some work- if there is an obstruction between him and the mark (say an island), he gets stuck at the island and will not move past it (searches the island like crazy). If I associate gunfire with a bumper it provides a lot more suction than just throwing a bumper. Lastly, I was surprised that his bumper positioning is very poor in the water compared to land. Probably should try fix it, however I am not too sure how to correct it.

He has done very well at everything, not sure if I'll I take it much past an 8 spoke wagonwheel and a little bit of handling (overs and back), but it is a lot of fun for me and him. Curious to see what other folks do.

ckirsch

Re: Pointing Dog Retrieve Training

Post by ckirsch » Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

I needed to train for water blinds in preparation for a hunt test last year, and while that took some effort, I suspect I'll train all of my dogs for water and land blinds in the future, regardless of any testing requirements, because it has a very practical application during hunts. It will also give us something to work on during the long off-season months.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointing Dog Retrieve Training

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue May 03, 2011 5:39 pm

They ain't labs. :D

After ff, I force to a pile, then work a simple four spoke wagon wheel. Many pointing dogs hate rote work, so sometimes you have to settle for what you get. What I want is a dog I can send on a rough line to a blind and handle to 100 yards in some fashion.

If I have a dog that like the rote work, I'll take him as far as I can, but never into a tight wagon wheel.

Then it's confidence blinds (sight blinds) on land and water, and finally cold blinds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.