Getting too close prior to point

gdog

Getting too close prior to point

Post by gdog » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:41 am

DIdn't want to hijack the other thread regarding pigeons/launchers, so here's my deal...

I'm having problems due to more then likely working the dog too much on launchers/pigeons. Dog just turned 2yrs old. She knows the launcher game and will flag and looses intensity (looks around at me instead of focusing on bird/pigeon). Take the launcher out of the equation and she regains focus and locks right up.

Problem though...is that she is roading in on the birds and without being able to launch the bird, she'll get right on top of it. If she gets a face full of scent she'll stop. But if she just gets a whiff at a distance, she'll press the bird too much and if its wild birds...off they go.

How do I build some distance on her points and avoid further issues with the launchers? I know wild birds are king, but I'm looking for some help with training scenarios where I have control of the situation. Back to check cord?

Ken Lynch

Re: Getting too close prior to point

Post by Ken Lynch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 am

The roading is why you teach a well taught whoa. Or use a check cord and stop her as soon as she hits sent. Have us put multiple birds at the same location and launched one at a time as soon as the dog wiggles?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am

I think you answered it...back to the check cord stop at first scent and or some time with wild birds that will not take the pressure.

gdog

Post by gdog » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:08 am

Ken Lynch wrote:The roading is why you teach a well taught whoa
She whoas well on command...but she needs to stop on her own...not with me whoa'ing her to stop. It's not that she is creeping when I get near...she's just roads in till she's right on top of them prior to me getting to her. She needs to respect the birds and stop on first scent. More then likely my doing in previous training...now I have to fix this.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 am

It happens a lot with launched or even liberated birds, so don't feel like you are on an island...when i watch trials you see it a bunch where dogs are only run on throwdowns, they get right on top.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Check out this old post by Ray regarding launchers and crosswind.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=22550&p=203684&hil ... nd#p203684

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Its not the launchers its the set up. You need to use a scent bird. Set the launchers 15 yards behind a well planted locked wing pigeon. Bring the dog into the scent at a cross wind . When the dog turns on the scent command whoa and launch a bird. This will get the dog to associate the stopping on the scent with the bird . His compliance with the command produced the reward which is the bird. If the dog is not very steady you can start this same drill without scent. Once the dog is getting it introduce the scent. In this scenario you can control the outcome and there should be no way for the dog to fail. This eliminates a need to correct the dog in the presence of the bird. Once the dog learns he produces the bird by stopping you can introduce multiple launchers from the same location. This will keep the dog on point if he expects there to be another bird coming.Vary your timing to keep the dog in the dark of when the next one is coming or when the drill ends. the more birds the better. I use tethers on the birds so there is no chance the dog will catch one. Guarantee the outcome!!!

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:07 am

more wild birds with mild correction for busting.

or, launch the pigeon on first scent no matter how far away she is, stopping all chasing should help too.
my .02