Chewing on the pigoens

drake handler

Chewing on the pigoens

Post by drake handler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 am

I have a 8 month old black lab. And he always trys to chew on the pigeons. I have stoped him as soon as I can. I don't want to shock him because then he wont even go to the bird. What should I do?
Drake Handler

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Chewing on the pigoens

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 am

Send him to a good trainer to be Force Fetched. It will make this problem go away.

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 am

Drake Handler.I read your last 2 posts. First , let me say I am not a Pro Trainer but I did grow up training GSP's as a kid and have had dogs of one sort or another for the past 50+ years. First, I just don't buy into the theory that a dog needs to be a year old or 6 months old for that matter before they can start "training". That's like saying a kid needs to be 7 before you start potty training.....

That said, training for me starts when you get the pup, be it six weeks or six years old and starts with "come, sit, Here" and so on. Early training: I have had 6 week old pups in the hunting field, getting introduced to hunting and it works out great. This time needs to be "fun stuff" but it is still training IMO.

I would start your pup on a solid Force Fetch program and teach it to hold and not chew on a wood buck to start with. Have a look in his mouth before you start ff to be sure he is not teething and has sore gums or that will be a big factor in noncompliance. Lots of DVD programs out there will get you going better than I can explain here. Work the FF with a steady, daily routine and it will take weeks in many cases for you to get it done. Once a dog has been FF he now knows there are rules to follow and is mentally programed to follow the rules. That leads to more than just fetching a bumper. It has more to do with the idea that "when Dad tells me to do it, I must do it" In the case of chewing the pigeon, getting him FFed with a wood buck and solid on " hold". Then once he has it down and will hold the buck without chewing I would bring the pigeon back into the FF program. Don't use the E collar for the chewing correction.Get a couple DVDs on FF and it will be more clear. One DVD I have that I liked for it's FF is Chris Atkins "Gun Dog Basics". It is just one af many programs out there but I thought it was easy and clear to understand.

Don't allow behaviors to get started that you don't want in the field later. Behaviors like mouthing, rough housing, not obeying commands and such. Basic obedience is where you start and it never really goes away, meaning that basic OB is a life long training session to keep on top of it. Dogs, like kids will try you every chance they get. Keep things fun and playful but in a controled sort of way. Be kind and a mentor, not a dictator and he will get it. Amping up the corrections as needed to get compliance required is what it's about.

Being a pack leader is maybe the most important aspect of all dog training and dog behavior in the home or field. Take control and be the Aplha Dog in your pack and the others will follow your lead. Duckdon

RoseRich

Post by RoseRich » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Have his adult teeth come in? Check his gums.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

drake handler wrote:I have a 8 month old black lab. And he always trys to chew on the pigeons. I have stoped him as soon as I can. I don't want to shock him because then he wont even go to the bird. What should I do?
Do you see the multiple teeth marks on the pigeons body or is he just mouthing it making it look like he is chewing? Bigger dogs will do that quite often with a sall bird. I have had dogs brought in that were supposedly chewing but I never found any teeth marks and the problem went away with pheaqsants or anything that size.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 pm

A good HERE command might help...Dogs have to stop or slow down to chew..If he is flying into you makes it harder to chew...
brenda

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Obedience train him and don't use the collar on him until his obedience and ff are complete.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.