E-collar uses

t-setter

E-collar uses

Post by t-setter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 pm

I have used an e-collar in the past as a training tool when doing yard work based on George Hickox method, but have never used it in the house as a corrective tool. I have an 8-month-old setter pup that I acquired at Christmas, and am having much difficulty in keeping him off the kitchen counters. I am tempted to use the e-collar as a correction for this but was wondering if this will interfere with stimulation training when I begin doing that in a few weeks (weather permitting). I have not done any yard training with this pup yet due to snow conditions, so he has not been stimulated or shocked in any way, though he is accustomed to wearing an e-collar. Any thoughts?

kensfishing

Re: E-collar uses

Post by kensfishing » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:23 pm

It's a training tool, use it. If they do good praise, is they do bad, correct them. In the field or otherwise. A correction is what's it's use for.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

mouse traps will solve the counter surfing in short order. They work good for dogs that want to mess around in the trash can too.

Mo

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 pm

I use it in the house for aversion "therapy". Hasn't hurt field work.

(I've seen a dog get a broken toe with a mouse trap.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 pm

I to use mouse traps for counter surfing...this is the smaller ones not the larger ones

I have also done the e collar diversion trick with the e collar is place your self where you can see the counter but the dog doesn't know you can see and when you apply a negative level and yes aversion levels should be higher then cueing type levels..Do not say a word do not acknowledge your dog Do not say anything when your dogs comes and find you Just pretend you have no idea what just happened to your counter surfer. As for as the dog is concerned that counter just bit him nothing else.

Another good one is the scat mat http://www.americas-pet-store.com/dog-t ... pment.html
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Any suggestions on how to keep a dog off the screen door.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 pm

gripper39 wrote:Any suggestions on how to keep a dog off the screen door.
Remove the screen. :mrgreen: That's what we ended up doing; although it was the cat that caused us to do so. He wasn't afraid of water, so squirting him with a squirt bottle when he climbed it didn't work.

Cheryl

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Dogs will use strategies to get what they want. If the dog scratches the door to go out or come in and you let the dog in it was an effective strategy.What you let your dog do you are teaching it to do. If you make it ineffective, the dog will look for another strategy that does. You could sacrifice the screen and let the dog scratch till it gives up and tries a different strategy on its own which will probably be barking to come in. Or you can teach it a different strategy such as to ring bell or some other thing, then only reinforce the behavior you want to let the dog in the house. .