Training help needed.

MoBritt

Training help needed.

Post by MoBritt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

I have a five month old male and eight month old female Brittnay. What teaching method can I use to train them not to jump up on me or any one else? I know they are pups nag they are very active. Need some advice please.

Ken

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Training help needed.

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 am

To start this has been trained into them ..as I tell people puppies and dogs do not grow out of behaviours they grow into them and I know it is hard to not want to pet that cute baby pup from coming and jumping on you

SO now have to change the game...What I like to do is when they jump up grab the front paws firmly and extend them up just a little ..Just enough to make it uncomfortable but not enough where it is lifting any weight off the back feet..Kinda squeeze the paws just enough where it will become uncomfortable and hold this untill the dog stops struggling or mouthing the hands where the dog kinda drops their head down and sighs in a "I GIVE" It may take a couple repeats since they are still at an age of testing and if you can get the rest of the family members and a couple friends to do the same thing the pup will learn that jumping up doesn't get rewarded but is now a new unfun game
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:07 am

this is a very common problem i have to deal with with many clients dogs that come in for basic obedience training. teaching basic obedience will help with this if you work on having the dog sit each time it comes up to a person. if the dog really understands the sit command and the obedience training you can easily get a dog to sit instead of jump up on someone. sometimes with older dogs it does require the help of an e-collar but it is an easy fix with most dogs that have gone through a thorough obedience training program.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 am

A soft knee to the pup's chest will also help. Turning your back on the pup will help. My favorite though, it teaching the dog a "blanket" or "place" command so that when someone new comes into the home the pup immediately goes to his blanket and lies down (or sits). This keeps his excitement at bay and helps him learn to control his impulses. You can even just skip the "blanket" command and just have him sit quietly as someone new comes in. You can only do this one dog at a time, so I'd suggest one of them be crated while you're working on the other one. Two pups together are at least 3 X's as much trouble as one pup - and it's hard to get one to listen while the other is running around like crazy.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 am

I teach them to stand for a treat, which transfers well to yardwork for whoa. I also try to turn out of reach when they do launch. With a little more mature dog, I will actually teach the jump up, taking the decision away from them and lessening the fun.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I teach them to stand for a treat, which transfers well to yardwork for whoa.
Doesn't that confuse them when Tom introduces a different whoa method?

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I teach them to stand for a treat, which transfers well to yardwork for whoa.

Coveyrise64
Not at all. We essentially do the same thing - on lead while walking, then post. I do walk arounds on a dropped lead. He transitions to e-collar. The main difference is they have a little more style when I work them, because they have to have their head and tail up. Oakie looks like a little Saddlebred on whoa. He is just a prettier dog than his big brother.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64
Not at all. We essentially do the same thing - on lead while walking, then post. I do walk arounds on a dropped lead. He transitions to e-collar. The main difference is they have a little more style when I work them, because they have to have their head and tail up. Oakie looks like a little Saddlebred on whoa. He is just a prettier dog than his big brother.
You'll have to show me sometime......

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 am

You want to learn to stack a dog? Chasing a DC? Or going for that Int Ch stuff? :)

Seriously, show dogs are taught to jump up as a reward.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 am

Cajun Casey wrote:You want to learn to stack a dog? Chasing a DC? Or going for that Int Ch stuff? :)

No, just want to see if your learning anything.......... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:You want to learn to stack a dog? Chasing a DC? Or going for that Int Ch stuff? :)

No, just want to see if your learning anything.......... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
Nah. Wouldn't be prudent. If I stick with what I'm good at, we are all a lot better off. My dogs look pretty and they run big and they come back. The rest is up to Tommy. He said he's never had a bad one in from me yet, although we were ready to debark Two after Texas.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Sit to greet . Teach the dog that every person it sees will be a source of reward if it sits down. Have some people come to your house when they enter have them cue the dog to sit when the dog sits say good dog give small treat . The dog will be more concentrated on the idea of the reward it wont consider jumping up. Jumping becomes a useless endeavor for the dog as long as it is not reinforced by reward such as petting. This has the dog doing what you want with the dog doing what it wants. It is far easier to work with the dogs behavior than against it. When the dog is complying well change the reward to petting with an occasional treat to keep the dog always trying to get the treat.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:54 pm

4dabirds wrote:Sit to greet . Teach the dog that every person it sees will be a source of reward if it sits down. Have some people come to your house when they enter have them cue the dog to sit when the dog sits say good dog give small treat . The dog will be more concentrated on the idea of the reward it wont consider jumping up. Jumping becomes a useless endeavor for the dog as long as it is not reinforced by reward such as petting. This has the dog doing what you want with the dog doing what it wants. It is far easier to work with the dogs behavior than against it. When the dog is complying well change the reward to petting with an occasional treat to keep the dog always trying to get the treat.

That is the last thing I want my dogs to think sit when people are around. I want my dogs to Stand and Be Still.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

REX77

Post by REX77 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:39 pm

soft knee to the pup's chest will help.. IT worked with all my brittanys..