Vizsla Training

mudpuppy1299

Vizsla Training

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 am

Do any of you vizsla owners have any recommendations for training videos, books, or philosophies. I have an 11 week old pup and have been researching several different methods and trying to figure out which one would be best to follow. I am leaning towards Rick and Ronnie Smith. Do any of you other vizsla owners use this philosophy? She's not ready to start yet, but I would like to be prepared when she is. Thanks again guys (and gals)!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Vizsla Training

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 am

The best method is the one that makes the most sense to you and you can remain the most consistent at.

As for breed a good method is a good method and as long as the pup got the abilities it should have been bred for then you can begin now as a pup to help guide and shape the pup as it grows to becoming the bird dog you want

The Smith method is one of the many good methods which does great for all breeds.

Maurice Lindley also has a good book out which can get people going in the right direction as it is more like a true field manual

Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 am

We used the Perfect Start and Perfect Finish from Perfection Kennels. Jon and Cindy work with quite a few Vizslas and their methods are not at all harsh. Since V's tend to be a bit softer than some of the other breeds, I've found Jon Hann to do a wonderful job with them. The videos are very easy to follow along with. www.perfectionkennels.com

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 pm

I will second Maurices book, "Training with Mo" it is good for all breeds, not just the Vizsla. The biggest thing with dogs is patience, myself I would rather spend an extra week watching and understanding the dog before moving ahead when the dog isnt ready it. You should be able to contact the book here www.gladerunpress.com if this gives you a prob, I will pass you some other contacts. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 pm

kninebirddog wrote:The best method is the one that makes the most sense to you and you can remain the most consistent at.
i like this.....and will agree, if your not 100% comfortable with the system, regardless of whose it is, it probably wont work for you. there are many different programs that get the same result so pick one that makes sense to you and run with it.

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Knine brings up a good point. Whatever works for you.

That being said, I use Mo's method too. His book is great.
Jonesy and him are great guys to know and guys who really know dogs.

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:15 pm

If you want to train your Vizsla you need to talk with people in the breed. It would be nice to be able to have a blanket training program but some breeds react in different ways to training methods that work on other breeds.

So talk to those who have trained the breed and even the lines your pup is from because there is no cookie cutter program that works for all breeds. What works for one does not work for all and there are people who have trained Vizslas and they are the ones who will be your biggest help.

Good Luck
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier