Checkcord Retrieving training

BC.NARANJO

Checkcord Retrieving training

Post by BC.NARANJO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi I am very new to this and would appreciate any sense of direction. I apologize ahead of time cause im sure there are already many threads like this. I have a 1 year 5 month old Yellow Lab that I am beginning to train for waterfowl retrieving I know a little late start but he's a smart dog and loves the water and will retrieve anything. I have a book that im following but im having trouble on when I throw a dummy out how should I get him to come back to me whistle? call him? and to make it clear that he has to come back to me its a mess sometimes he brings it right back and drops it at my feet other times he runs off and does his own thing but when I call him and try bringing him with the check cord he drops the dummy. I dont know any help would be great thanks appreciate it

~Bryce

Sprig

Re: Checkcord Retrieving training

Post by Sprig » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:09 pm

sounds like he needs a basic obedience program to teach him come before you worry about the retrieve. get him through a sound obedience program and that will help a ton with what he is doing.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm

BC.NARANJO wrote:I have a 1 year 5 month old Yellow Lab that I am beginning to train for waterfowl retrieving ....I have a book that im following but im having trouble on when I throw a dummy out how should I get him to come back to me whistle? call him?

~Bryce
What book? What does it tell you about training the "Here" command?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDM78DYARc

Anything like that?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

BC.NARANJO

Post by BC.NARANJO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:18 am

I am reading Tom Dokken's Retriever training and all it really goes over with the command come is to start by using a leash attached to the choke chain and to say the command followed by a tug and to just work your way up to check cord. that you tube video seems like a pretty effective method cause it keeps the dog from straying anywhere. Ill give it a go and see what works