Rough play - 2 Brits

Spike

Rough play - 2 Brits

Post by Spike » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm

All,

We have 2 female Brittany pups both approaching 6 months and out of different litters. One is easy going and is about 3 lbs bigger than the other. The little one is kind of wild and often pesters the bigger dog. Frequently they get to rough-housing and the little one bites (on the ear, or her loose skin but has never drawn blood) the big one as they wrestle around. The big one growls (not a vicious growl) almost the entire time and sometime half barks/half yips (difficult to describe) but seems to be enjoying the "fun" most of the time and sometimes is even the instigator of the wrestling matches.

It looks to me like play tho it does get pretty wild once in a while. My wife is worried that the pups may get mean or otherwise learn bad habits. We have some Cesar Millan DVDs and my wife claims Cesar says, "Don't let them do that. It's not good." And, that a mother dog would put a stop to such rough play. Further, with us now the "pack leaders," we should intervene and stop it.

I want to do what's right for the dogs but don't know exactly what that is. (I wish I could describe the dog wrestling situation better.) I'm coming to this board in hopes that the experience here will shed some light on this and how to fix it if it is a problem. BTW, the dogs are sweet pups, genuinely seem to like each other and all the people and most other dogs they come in contact with - 4 kids over playing with them today.

I can likely stop this rough-housing by simply stepping in a breaking it up. Is that a good "dog thing" to do?

I'm asking for your thoughts (and thanks in advance).

Spike

PS, I'm not asking for marital help, just dog advice :wink: .
Spike Cover

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Rough play - 2 Brits

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:11 am

Do not worry about it as long as both pups are enjoying the exercise. I have dogs that are 7 still doing it when kenneled together or occasionaly in the house whichcan get a little much. But I love to watch them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:29 am

In general, I agree with Ezzy.

If there is a big difference in temperament between the two pups and the more aggressive one is always the one initiating the rough play, I'd want him to know there are some boundaries and limitations. Smaller dogs, old dogs, kids, cats, less aggressive dogs need to be protected, IMO, against constant harrassment by a rowdy pup. It's sort of hard to tell from your post how often it's happening...Also, I wouldn't want my dogs brawling in the house - might just be me, but I want calm behavior in the house. If they want to wrestle - just like the kids - take it outside.

Last summer we had a young dominant male dog (70 pounds) who was constantly beating the crap out of a playful, but smaller (40 pounds) dog in our back yard. We didn't know the background of the larger dog, so they were only together in the yard when supervised. The big dog eventually learned to lighten up in response to the command "easy" or he knew we'd take his smaller buddy away. He learned to adjust his play to be able to keep playing with the smaller dog - and they had a blast together. Dogs are smart. They can learn what you want.

Also a tired pup is a good pup. If they have good outlets to run during the day, it can take away some of the need to brawl inside.

Spike

Post by Spike » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks... Spike
Spike Cover

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:19 pm

From what you described I would let them work it out themselves, they will set the tone. You will know when it is no longer play and it is a fight and you should step in. I would get them to the point where when they are in a good little play fight where you can get there attention and stop it with voice, that way if you ever did feel it was going to escalate to a fight you can stop it proactively without trying to break it up physically where one of them almost always ends up getting suckered or you get bit. It is good for puppies to play in order to develop good social skills and learn the power of their mouths. I beleive giving them the outlet would prevent them from becoming snap shows towards each other in the future. Some dogs hold grudges, after a little scrap I like to see both parties shake it off, some dogs hold grudges and I think If you don't let them work things out it sometimes creates those. Also I don't know if you or your wife do this but definately refrain from coddleing the loser. Don't let one become a bully but certainly do not pay any attention to a sukey loser, you will end up with a bigger suke with issues.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:34 am

If it gets too rough just say "ENOUGH", usually settles them first time.

Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Winchey, I don't coddle either afterward. I'll watch to see if my wife does (don't think she does). The dogs seem to genuinely like one another and I don't get the sense that either is holding a grudge.

All, Thanks again. We're lovin' the pups and just want to do what we can to make things good for all involved.

Spike
Spike Cover