No Interest in Birds

Bandito

No Interest in Birds

Post by Bandito » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 pm

My pup is about 6 months old now and I’ve yet to formally introduce her to birds since I don’t have a loft and I’m currently working out a plan to get a steady supply of pigeons through a loft or trap.

I do take her on walks in the field and she just runs around and seems completely ignorant that birds even exist; sometimes she’ll see a song bird and attempt to chase it but no nose work at all. Should I be concerned?

Is this common and will she ever develop a strong interest in birds?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: No Interest in Birds

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 pm

keep exposing your pup to birds and it will figure it out one of these days. Don't get bent out of shape just yet. The dog is young.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reassurance Ezzy,

As far as formal bird introduction goes; is something along the lines of this video a good way to handle it?

Prior to the first introduction/release should the dog be all worked up and excited about it?

I appreciate the advice and guidance.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Be patience. Like Ezzy said she is very young and no exposure yet. The light should turn on with more exposure to wild birds or pen birds your getting.

Are there any wild birds where you take her running?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:11 pm

You need to get her on some quail, either wild or pen....
brenda

Merle

Post by Merle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:46 pm

As long as it was a good breeding I wouldn't be concerned at this point. Your pup is like a computer it is all in there it just needs to be programmed. Be patient! Remember we are talking years not months before that pup will be in her prime.

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 pm

There are plenty of areas in CA with decent wild quail numbers. I am sure there is also game farms or other sources where you can find birds to put out for her. Bird contact will stimulate her prey drive, and develop the desire and excitement you are looking for.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for all of the advice and reassurance. I have stumbled upon some convey's but my typical training field isn't teeming with wild game birds that's for sure. I think my best bet will be pigeons; until I can get a loft built I'm going to try my hand at trapping and I'll see how it goes.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 am

do you have a fly fishing store near by? if so, go there and they would most likey have pheasant wings for tying flys. in lieu of real birds a pheasant wing can at least temporarily give the dog some smell and attraction to bird scent...duct tape it to a bumber for retrieves......

surferdave

Post by surferdave » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Exposure is key right now. I'm not sure you mentioned whether the dog is a pointer or lab. Clipped winged pigeons work really well to build prey drive. I don't know to much about pointers, but when teaching my lab to hunt and flush, I utilized hunt clubs. Even one in Hilmar, which is close to Fresno. Planted chukar are a great bird for young dogs to start on.

D.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Need to get him on some real birds so the pup can run and scent and find birds to learn what that hunting is all about. Dead bird parts isn't going to teach the pup anything about looking for birds and hunting for them and the up isn't going to magically know to hunt for birds until that door has been opened for them to figure it out that only comes through experience.

Try and find a local bird dog club near you maybe someone can help you and your pup out.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:40 pm

If you have a pointing dog, you need to use birds that can fly. Do not use wings and try to get her sight pointing, as that is not teaching her anything that will be usefull in a real hunting environment. It takes a little dedication when you committ to training and developing a hunting dog. By giving her the bird contacts and exposure, if the genetics are there, you will see her instincts start to show and you can keep her progressing fowrard.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you for all of the advice.

I think I'm kind of stuck until I have some time to build a pigeon loft (hopefully soon). I have made a few homeade traps and set them around areas I've seen pigeon activity; hopfully these will supply some results in the mean time.

I also tried contacting a racing pigeon club to see if I could "rent" some birds but when I told them what for got stone walled... :lol:

surferdave

Post by surferdave » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Bandito,

I'm located in the Bay Area, but have a loft I need to get rid of. If you want, it's $200, which basically covers the wood purchased to build it.

David

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey Dave,

What are the deminsions and do you have any birds your selling too?

surferdave

Post by surferdave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Bandito,

I'll send you a PM with more information. If you want I can have you pictures as well. The pigeon coop was barely used for 1 season and is in great condition. I have a person that you can purchase pigeons from if interested.

David