Force Fetch help near Omaha

Nebraska

Force Fetch help near Omaha

Post by Nebraska » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:06 pm

My GSP has always done a great job retrieving birds to me but the last time I went to a game preserve, I shot a hen pheasant and, after getting a mouth full of feathers, my girl decided she didn't want to retrieve the bird any further and dropped it 1/2 way back. I gave her a command to "fetch it up" but she just tuned me out and kept hunting. She retrieved several roosters for me after that but for whatever reason, she just didn't like carrying that dead hen.

So - would it be a good idea for me to train her on force fetch so I don't have any issues down the road? If so, if you guys could give me some ideas on folks in/around Omaha, NE that would be able to walk me through it for the first time, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!

AzDoggin

Re: Force Fetch help near Omaha

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Nebraska wrote:My GSP has always done a great job retrieving birds to me but the last time I went to a game preserve, I shot a hen pheasant and, after getting a mouth full of feathers, my girl decided she didn't want to retrieve the bird any further and dropped it 1/2 way back. I gave her a command to "fetch it up" but she just tuned me out and kept hunting. She retrieved several roosters for me after that but for whatever reason, she just didn't like carrying that dead hen.

So - would it be a good idea for me to train her on force fetch so I don't have any issues down the road? If so, if you guys could give me some ideas on folks in/around Omaha, NE that would be able to walk me through it for the first time, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!
Sounds to me like your dog understands her role just fine! If she retrieves roosters, what's the problem?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 pm

You might get away with just teaching hold

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Fetch is hold no need for two comands for the same thing. I say yes to FF it puts you in control ,but you must be comitted to see it through being new at it could take 6weeks - 2 months to get it right it has its ups an downs i no first hand on that. But Trust me its worth it.. Sorry just my 2 cents it worked for me.. sounds like you have a good dog getting soon tobe a great dog......good luck

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Hattrick wrote:Fetch is hold no need for two comands for the same thing. I say yes to FF it puts you in control ,but you must be comitted to see it through being new at it could take 6weeks - 2 months to get it right it has its ups an downs i no first hand on that. But Trust me its worth it.. Sorry just my 2 cents it worked for me.. sounds like you have a good dog getting soon tobe a great dog......good luck
Fetch and hold are 2 different commands yes and if you follow any of the FF programs out there you'll start with hold the once you progress through that then go to fetch and so on some dogs with the natural desire to do it may only need to be taught hold for certain situations that's just my 2 cents

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Jeff~If that's the only bobble she's had, I wouldn't worry about it. She's young and it sounds like she's doing just fine.

Doug

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Keep playing fetch games at home, get her excited but dont over do the fetch. When she wants to quit let her. Move on to a feathered dummy. If you need a pro I can offer a number of a very good one that is very close and not too costly.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Munster

Post by Munster » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Nebraska wrote:My GSP has always done a great job retrieving birds to me but the last time I went to a game preserve, I shot a hen pheasant and, after getting a mouth full of feathers, my girl decided she didn't want to retrieve the bird any further and dropped it 1/2 way back. I gave her a command to "fetch it up" but she just tuned me out and kept hunting. She retrieved several roosters for me after that but for whatever reason, she just didn't like carrying that dead hen.

Was the hen mutalated? Some dogs have issues with game that is all bloody and gory. Just a thought.

If it bothered you that much, then FF is the answer. But if she did great the rest of the time dont worry to much about it. I didnt catch the age of the dog though.

Look up I think it is Heartland NAVHDA, I am sure there are people in that club that come from yur area. Most NAVHDA people are great people and very helpful.

I second the fetch/hold thing. Kinda like telling a dog to sit/stay or down/stay. If I give the sit/down command the dog better not move until the next command. Just my 2 cents
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.