First training material purchase

NoVAGSP

First training material purchase

Post by NoVAGSP » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:41 pm

I've got a 15 month old GSP, named Ripley, who I decided to start training (I know a little later than most). I started obedience training when he was 12 weeks, and is pretty solid on the basics: sit, come, stay (don't move until I say it's ok), drop, give (release what's in his mouth to me). He does get distracted when other dogs are romping around him, but we're still working on it all the time.

A little about me: I'm 29 and an avid outdoors person. I enjoy fly fishing and shooting. I've hunted deer a few times with family, but never on a consistent basis. I've hunted pheasant with my uncles several times and had a blast. I'm looking to get into it on a consistent basis.

I know the best way to get started is to get involved with a club, but I'm away from home so I was looking to get started on my own. My intention is to join a club/group when I return to Virginia.

I've decided, based on the research in these forums, to use the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish DVD sets. My question is what else should I purchase for an initial training setup? I want to avoid buying the DVDs then when they get here and I watch the first one realizing that I needed to buy X, Y, and Z before I can get started. I'm thinking a 30+ ft check cord is a must, but what else would you guys recommend?

I'm looking to start with the very first steps and following the process, even if that means relearning things that Ripper already knows. I want to make sure I have what I need on hand to help him become the best bird dog he can be.

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Re: First training material purchase

Post by AHGSP » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm

If you're going to follow the Perfection system, you'll need a good flat collar of course(I prefer 1" w/ a center safety ring), the check cord, a remote launcher or two and an e-collar(hard to beat a TT) and a bird bag; but the most important thing that you may be overlooking is, a coop full of good Homing Pigeons. Without training birds, nothing else is of any value. :wink:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:16 pm

homing pigeons and a bird launcher are very handy to have.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:17 pm

I wouldn't do without a remote launcher. And I'm pretty fussy about my check cords to, just any old cord won't do for me. 30' is a bit long, 25' is about all you can handle. It should be tight woven nylon, fairly stiff and get stiffer with use, 3/8tgh smallest dia. With pup's I use 1/4" closeline 10' long and my pup's always drag it. Nothing like having a 10' arm with a puppy! The snap should be brass and tied on with a bowline knot. No hand loop in the end but rather a simple overhand knot to stop the cord from going thru your hand and out is the dog pulls to hard. Pigeon's absloute necessary but if you train reasonably closwe to hime, ferals are cheaper and can be easily trained to hime for 50+ mi. I've had some feral's that homed close to 100mi but 50 is plenty. Make yourself a bird box to move your birds around in. The side should fall open to release pigeon's when your out training pigeon's to home and the top should have a covered slot to put birds in and remove one at a time. A 2 1/2 ga; plastic bucket can be made into a very nice carrier for taking birds out to plant. You might want to make a pigeon trap also. I just finished one and it's all scrap material plus the bobs from a pen I'm not gonna keep flight birds in any more. Learn to pay attention to your dog. It will tell you about everything it's gonna do befor it does it if you learn to read it.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!