new problem! chewing birds!

Elias

new problem! chewing birds!

Post by Elias » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am

at first he used to refuse to retrieve, after a lot of training he started retrieving birds in a great way. 2day i have no idea what happened he chewed the birds! He broke their bones nd i could c ther internal organs. Please help.

Winchey

Re: new problem! chewing birds!

Post by Winchey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 am

You shouldn't have to worry about it yet. You said he doesen't point.

Elias

Post by Elias » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:45 pm

i am training him on both point nd retrieving. I think retrieving is also important. Any help is appreciated. When i cant go out to train him on pointing, i train him on retrieving

Elias

Post by Elias » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

i was reading on the forum,that i can put nails in a sock nd glue feathers on it. I tried it nd he didnt chew at all. But the bird is soft nd am scared he is gona chew it again. Some help please.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm

One step at a time, if your trying train him everything at once he'll never understand you need to take it slow once you get him pointing steady, then work on retrieving, it seems like your trying to rush things and when you do that its no different than pounding your head up against a wall when there is a perfectly good door right next to you.

Elias

Post by Elias » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 pm

ill keep the pointing for later. i wana work a bit more on retrieving now....
wut should i do to make him stop chewing. am kinda scared he will swallow a nail and get hurt.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm

getting your POINTING dog to POINT is the first step, its going to be much much harder for you to ever get him to point if you just let that problem go.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 pm

This is a joke right ? nails!!!!

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:00 pm

4dabirds wrote:This is a joke right ? nails!!!!
i really hope it is a Joke,

Elias,
you need to focus on one thing at a time do this in an order that makes things easier on you and the dog get him to point solid then, work on retrieving. I'm not a pro but there are plenty of people on here that I'm sure would back me Up on this.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 pm

tcjack wrote:please quit posting here! :evil:
tcjack, everyone has the right to post here as long as they follow the rules, we shouldn't discourage posting but, young trainers should also take all the free advice they can get and not argue with people giving free advice.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:18 pm

I've read them too but, some things are better left unsaid or sent through PM

Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:09 am

feel free to say anything. Why should i give my dog away? I read the post of nails here in the forum:s its not my idea. Honestly am not able to make him point, am really deseperate. Maybe i should quit posting here, ur right.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:02 am

Elias: With all due respect. You need to be trained in a systematic manner. You need to pony up and go to a Smith week long seminar or get with some one like Jonesy. All of your problems are from confusion. Yours and the dogs. That is all that is going on. You are reading, trying this, that and the other thing. You need one person, one method and work with that trainer.

If I were you I would stop all training all together for a couple months, just have this dog as a pet for winter. If you can not afford to go to a Smith or Hickox seminar, get the DVD sets, study them, over and over and over again. I also think you and your dog would benifit a lot from joining a NAVHDA group or similar orginization that has many training clinics and folks to train with. Experienced folks. You need to pick one system, understand it, and work it.

From your posts sometimes I think you might be from out of the country. If so you still need to find a mentor or program to help you. The only thing wrong with your dog is your confusion, but if you do not get yourself unconfused you will screw up that dog beyond help.

Just My Opinion, but I believe I am right.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

gunnersmom

Post by gunnersmom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:05 am

I'm a new trainer too so I understand you want all from your dog. That being said I don't remember how old or how long you have been working with him but I believe you need to let up on him some and let him point. Make it fun and not so much pressure to get a "trained and steady" dog. I know it is hard and takes patience on our part as trainer. And I have 2 Weims I am working with..one 17 months and one 11 weeks. Weims being Weims, you have to be patient. I agree you should post but also listen when told by the more experienced to work on the point and patience. If not why ask? I hope it all works out for you and your dogs. But the joy from him doing what he was born to to outweighs the rush.

Chris

Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 am

i have another dog too.....he is 2 years and 3months old, i succeeded with him with every step. thats why am frustrated with my new dog, i trained him the same way i trained my other dog and i am never succeeding. i tried everything with him and it seems am screwing up. am ouf of the country yes, i wish i lived in the states or somewhere they can help me, in my country i am on my own!
u say let him do whatever he is born to do, he is not:S he just wana flush the birds and he is whoa broke and everything...thats y am geting lost.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:24 am

Elias: Please get your self one of thoseDVD's and start over. I understand your frustrations. We do want to help but there is so much going on that I think you just need to stop, let the dog clear out and start over this spring. Not all dogs are the same, not all progress as quickly as others, some get confused or are influenced by our frustrations.

There are Bird Dog Trainers all over the world and perhaps in your country. Seek them out.

In the mean time. Just work on basic commands again. Learn a system, understand it.

If I am wrong some one please chime in here.

I am not saying not to post or ask for help. But I think you would benefit from starting over.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 am

okey thank you:) i will order some dvds and rest the dog a bit. and will c how things will go in spring.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 am

Don't order some DVD's, get one. I hear that "perfect Start" is a good one and I think it's actually two, get both of them. The "Rick Smith" videos are supposed to be good also, you might try them. But just get them mfrom one source. You mix programs and you'll be right back where you are now. You are in no position to compare methods.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 am

Don't order some DVD's, get one. I hear that "perfect Start" is a good one and I think it's actually two, get both of them. The "Rick Smith" videos are supposed to be good also, you might try them. But just get them mfrom one source. You mix programs and you'll be right back where you are now. You are in no position to compare methods.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!