i think my dog wont point! end of story

Elias

i think my dog wont point! end of story

Post by Elias » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:43 pm

he doesnt want to point! he only wants to flush and honestly all i do in my life is think of him and how to make him a good hunting dog.
i think he wont point:(

dugger13

Re: i think my dog wont point! end of story

Post by dugger13 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm

how many bird contacts has he had? probably the biggest reason why most dogs "don't" point. How old is the dog?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm

When I get a dog in that has more desire to get the bird
I work at taking the chase out and not worry about the point

I do this with the Rick Smith method of the whoa post to establish a point a contact and then we work on flushing birds with no scent contact at first then when the dog begins to stop to flush then we work into the wind and when dog makes scent and is making a straight line at the bird launch the bird let the dog commit to the chase and then cue to a stop...There is a big difference when they dog has a point of contact and knows it is being cue to stop not shocked to stop as the dog will come to a stop and stand there
once the dog begins to understand they will slowly begin to start to point the birds once they learn to stop the chase

it is not an over night fix and some dogs will go through a bunch of homers being launched before they get that chase out of their system
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Elias

Post by Elias » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

so far he encountered around 15 wild quails, 1 wild woodcock.
penraised birds around 50!

am training him everyday, he points sometimes but he is still not sure of wut he is doing. even when he flush the bird i tell him to stay, he doesnt chase it.

he is gona be 2 years in february!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:22 pm

You don't have a lab do you?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Elias

Post by Elias » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:37 pm

He is an EP but i think he wants to be a lab!;) what can i do?

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:22 pm

take kninebirddogs advice. I do a similar drill . I just might add that when i do it, I use a tether on the bird launcher. This enables me to use the same birds over again . This drill takes a lot of repetition and it can get expensive buying pigeons. I use round elastic cord , it helps to keep the birds in good condition.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:34 pm

4dabirds wrote:take kninebirddogs advice. I do a similar drill . I just might add that when i do it, I use a tether on the bird launcher. This enables me to use the same birds over again . This drill takes a lot of repetition and it can get expensive buying pigeons. I use round elastic cord , it helps to keep the birds in good condition.

yes this is where homers come in extremely handy.they are back in the coop faster then we can get there to resuse them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Where are you located? You are welcome to tell me privately if it makes you uncomfortable.Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com