When in training should the e-collar be brought in?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

When in training should the e-collar be brought in?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:47 pm

What should a pointing dog in training be doing before an e-collar is brought into the scenario?

poudre river gundogs

Re: When in training should the e-collar be brought in?

Post by poudre river gundogs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:21 am

In a nut shell? An e-collar is used for correction for a concept that is completely understood. All of your fundamental concepts should be solid before you collar condition. The best way to think about a e-collar is that is does not teach or train a dog to do anything. It is used for correction.

Gary

Poudre River Gundogs

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:51 am

Let your pup start wearing it as soon as it will fit, just leave it off and the transmitter in the house. It will condition the pup to it.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 am

Don wrote:Let your pup start wearing it as soon as it will fit, just leave it off and the transmitter in the house. It will condition the pup to it.
I agree with leaving it off, but I carry the transmitter just so they are used to seeing it.

Doug

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:34 am

The e collar in the method I use I start by teaching the dog points of contacts and that is a cue to do something and use it like an invisible check cord. I like a dog to respond to the e collar not react to it

this is the link to how I approach the E collar UNDERSTANDING THE E COLLAR
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Cool. My question got picked. With a little star, too. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:08 am

With all that said 5 months of age is about right

Carl Porter

Post by Carl Porter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:57 pm

I agree with poudre river gundogs. IMO never use an e-collar on any dog at any age unless it understands without a doubt the command before you even put it on the dog. All training should be learned on a check cord first . You have to earn the right to use an e-collar on a dog at any age. It is an extension of a check cord used in the same manner with the same point of contact. I transition the dog from the check cord to the e-collar by letting the dog drag the check cord with the e-collar on and used with the same amount of stimulation so the dog doesnt know if its the check cord or the e-collar. Once he is used to the e-collar stimulation remove the check cord.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Anonymous
www.huntingdogtrainer.net

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 am

Cajun Casey,
There is not universal age, each individual dog matures at different rates, depending on the breed and socialization of the pup. How smart the individual animal happens to be, can vary greatly from breed to breed. The young dog must be mature enough to understand commands and smart enough to understand what the master
requires him to do. There are many different training methods being used with the e-collar, George Hickox has an entire stimulation command training program that he has developed.
Others use the e-collar as a breaker only, I use the collars beeper as a command tool in our training program, to both locate and recall our Grouse dogs. The dogs are trained to understand that the number of beeps they hear from the collar mean different commands. Smart dogs learn these commands very quickly, when started at the proper age. Learning to judge all this take a trainer a life time and the education really never stops, this is why its so important for a young trainer to have a mentor that
helps him mature as a trainer, giving him insight that would take him many years to learn on his own thru trial and error.
RGD/Dave

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:48 pm

I agree with everyone that says there is no age requirement. The dog needs to understand the command before you can use the e-collar . A good reference point would be the dog is 80% reliable on the command and is generalized on it as well . The only problem with this is , does the trainer really understand what the dog understands. You need to understand that dogs do not generalize well, so go slow and be sure you are not correcting the dog when the dog does not understand. This can be as simple as, you taught the dog a command and now you are standing on the other side of the dog .This is enough to confuse the dog and you may not pick this up and correct the dog. Now your dog is apprehensive during training . A lot of people make this mistake then just assume that they spent to much time or put to much pressure on the dog during training.Try to keep in mind that it is far more effective to reward your dog for something that the dog does right than to allow it to fail and correct. There needs to be a balance between reward and correction but this does not mean for every reward there needs to be a correction. Set the dog up for success and correct using an avoidance method .This means the dog complies with the command to avoid the stimulation.