Leashes & cords 101

pmgnut

Leashes & cords 101

Post by pmgnut » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:54 am

Good morning all,

Pardon my lack of basic knowledge with this but my head is spinning from trying to absorb too much too quickly! Anyway, I can use some help clearing up the below questions. Thanks again.

What is a checkcord and when/where should it be used, and how long should it be for a pup?

Should I use a very short leash when going for normal walks and when should I use a longer leash?

Should I be using a slip chain type collar for mild corrections and when should it be used?

bwjohn

Re: Leashes & cords 101

Post by bwjohn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:56 am

check cord generally only used when working dogs on birds, in a training situation.

I always use a shorter lead when walking the dog or when my wife takes him along on her jog.

the slip chain collar depends on the training methods that you use. I find that a simple quick tug on a normal collar gets the job done with my dog. the slip chain is a little stronger correction and may need to be used if the dog is not getting the correction from a normal collar.

brandon

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:23 pm

I have 3' 4' and 6' leashes I use when walking dogs.

Which one depends on the area, how likely they are to be off leash, and stuff like that.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Check cords are either flat cotton web or nylon 20 to 30 ft. long. Many are also round rope type cords 3/8 to 1/2 in diameter. A leash cant be 4 ft or 6 ft depending on if just walking or training. Many different types of collars depending on temperament of the dog and type of training your doing. Best to be working with a trainer or specific video training program and using the equipment that is called for by that trainer. Check the web for types of equipment.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

You really need to get a couple of books and a video or two, and would be nice to join a training club and find a mentor.

You have way more to learn than which leash to use.

Good luck, it is not that all that hard, but it ain't easy either,

Neil

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Many knowledgeable dog people will warn you against using a slip chain collar as you can do damage to a dog, including crushing the thyroid gland located along the neck. use a prong style collar, another type of slip collar or better yet use a Smith Wonder Lead which is similar to the common piggin string some folks use. I have also used a horse lunge line to walk a dog. They are just like a 20'-25' leash with a nylon loop or other stop handle at one end and a clip at the other. If your dog doesn't quickly develop some manners on a long lead like this it may not work for you because of the tug that can develop with a running dog. They like the freedom though. One hint, wear leather gloves with a round checkcord, Wonder Lead or any other lead without a good handle.

You don't want a handle on a check cord because it should be able to be dragged through a field by a dog without catching on anything. Then when the dog goes on point you can grab the cord to prevent the dog from creeping on point or breaking with a flush.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:41 pm

Could someone go into a bit more detail as to the differences (other than length) between check cord, leash, lead? I realize they're different, but not how they're different.

-John

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:25 pm

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm

In the Gun Dog world long lines are called Check Cords in the Obedience world they may be called "Long Lines" and for many working dog, police dogs, tracking dogs they call them Working Lines or Tracking Lines (33 ft.).

IF you look at this section of Tractor Supply you can see a variety of check cords and leashes for gun dogs.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/d ... ing-leads/

Also check out this site. http://www.gundogsupply.com/check-cords ... pment.html

Here is a selection of working dog and tracking equipment.

http://www.dogequipment.com/sections/x- ... ml#wkrline

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks Buckshot & Mike,

Other than length and round or flat...how do they function differently?

-John

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Other than length and round or flat...how do they function differently?
Hey there- here is my take on the differences....

Checkcord: I have a checkcord for bird work from gundogsupply.com- waterproof and drags nicely though fields ( http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort ... -cord.html)
Because I have had some issues with my dog being too excited and not stopping and pointing, I use the CC.
I do have 40' tracking line that I use for obedience and tracking but that's all. I separate that line from the one I use for bird work.

Leashes: I do competitive obedience and use a 4' and 6' leash. If my dogs go on a 'normal walk' when they are on leash, they are on 6' leashes. At NAVHDA or any other bird work, the e collar is on and he heels at my side or else....no leash needed.

Collar: I always use a pinch except when in the obedience ring. Pinches are 'illegal' according to AKC rules, so I put on a choke or buckle. At any AKC event, you are not allowed to use a pinch. Other then that, I train with a pinch and use one on leash walks. They are a much kinder collar then a "choke". Chokes can cause damage is misused, pinches apply equal pressure around the neck. Also, one good correction on the pinch goes a long way. Chokes-- no use for them.

Hope this helps. Jen

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:51 pm

generally the only difference is length. a checkcord is basically a long leash no matter what it is made of....... put 3 or 4 leashes together and call it a checkcord, whatever. the shorter the leash generally the quicker the correction will be, therefore walking and basic obedience should be learned on a leash, normally 6ft or less. as a pup matures you will want to graduate to a checkcord where they will feel more independent but the corrective action can still be taken by you. inexperienced dogs usually run with checkcords attached in the fields so corrective actions can be taken farther than 6ft away.

one difference between checkcords and leashes can be (but not always) the straight end to a checkcord to prevent the tangling in brush. for those who let their dogs run with attached cords this is useful because their dogs will be less likely to get tangled up and stranded in the woods.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 pm

That makes sense. Thank You!
-John

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:21 am

Generally, the difference in how they are used is that on a leash you want the dog totally under control at all times. On a check-cord, you want the dog working on his own until you want to provide him with some input via a tug, pop, or hard pull to get his attention.

Different folks use them for different things so no answer will be 100% true for everybody. You are being given a lot of generalizations which you will need to apply to you own training process if and when you can.