need a little advice

TM964x4

need a little advice

Post by TM964x4 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:58 pm

So my ep handles fairly with the ecollar. I think he's become collar wise. He will come when called whoa to a certain extent and generally listen well. As soon as the collar is off he will bolt if he see something to chase and not whoa at all. I need a few pointers on breaking him. If I use a force collar on him doing yard work he listens well but if he knows I'm out of reach he will ignore me. I guess I need to start back from square one. Thanks for the advice

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: need a little advice

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:28 pm

You are exactly right about the square one thing.

I would go back to the yard and do silent heel/whoa drills using either a wonder lead or a pinch or prong collar. I would progress with these drills until the dog will heel and whoa off lead. At some point when the dog is close to heeling and whoaing off lead, I would start folding in come drills in this way, with the dog on a long lead heel the dog and then stop to whoa the dog. Then with the dog whoaed, walk away from the dog and then, when you are approaching the end of the long lead, turn and verbally, or with whistle, command the dog to come. Praise and pat the dog and repeat.

When the dog is coming to you...DIRECTLY to you...at the double, then you can start working off lead in exactly the same way.

Once the dog is doing it right in the back yard for a few sessions, you can start lessons in the field. Go back to the lead...heel/whoa and then heel/whoa/come. Then, after a few sessions, try it off lead. If, when the dog is off lead, it does not come straight back to you, on the double...go absolutely ballistic on the dog, screaming at it verbally and run the dog down while screaming at it. In all probablity the dog will drop onto its belly when it hears you coming after it like that. That is exactly what you want. It is the wrath of God coming down on the dog for not obeying. Scream at it for about thirty seconds after you chase it down, then, clip a lead on the dog, back off about 5 feet and stand there for another thirty seconds or so. When the dog looks up at you, command come in a stern, but low voice and , if necessary, give a pop on the lead. When the dog comes to you, even if you have to reel it in, praise and pat. Then heel it off and put it away for at least a half hour.

The dog has now learned that there is NO option other than compliance...with or without the e-collar. The half hour or more in the crate has burned that lesson into its brain.

Do not be in a rush, and if the dog regresses, do not hesitate to back up and re-do it.

RayG

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Wow thank you for the in depth advice. Really appreciate it!

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:25 pm

The ecollar work should be treated as an extension of the check cord. Get them doing things first with the check cord, and as everything startes coming together, slowly start allowing a bit of freedom, and let them drag the cord, but keep the questions and trust the same. Also, everytime the dog is working have it on his neck, along with, do not start knocking and shocking it, until it has proved to you that it understands what is asked, and expected.......with the check cord on. The simplier you keep it, the simplier it will stay. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com