Game farm......

Nebraska

Game farm......

Post by Nebraska » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:19 am

I've been working my GSP on pigeons from a releaser and she's been doing a good job holding point until the flush. Next, I've started working with her on being steady to wing and shot (primer pistol) but would like to shoot some birds over her in a controlled environment before the season so she doesn't get bored with flushing pigeons.

Would it be a good or bad idea to hit a pheasant farm so my buddy could flush and shoot some birds while I maintained control and then released my dog after the bird goes down?

If that's not a good idea, please let me know how you'd proceed........

Thanks,
Jeff

AzDoggin

Re: Game farm......

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:37 am

Nebraska wrote:I've been working my GSP on pigeons from a releaser and she's been doing a good job holding point until the flush. Next, I've started working with her on being steady to wing and shot (primer pistol) but would like to shoot some birds over her in a controlled environment before the season so she doesn't get bored with flushing pigeons.

Would it be a good or bad idea to hit a pheasant farm so my buddy could flush and shoot some birds while I maintained control and then released my dog after the bird goes down?

If that's not a good idea, please let me know how you'd proceed........

Thanks,
Jeff
It CAN be a good next step - probably depends on the nature of the birds. For example, the last time I was at a pheasant farm, my buddy was catching the birds and tossing them up in the air so we could shoot them. If the birds are too tame and your dog catches them, it would be a major setback for you.

Others will be along with more experience than I have in this area.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Catching them would definitely not be good. My othe option would be to just buy a few and dizzy 'em and plant them and come in x-wind with my GSP on a check cord.

I'd like to hear opinions on either way......thanks!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Where are you located? Might be some good wild bird opportunities not to far away.

Any decent , we call them shooting preserves, will have good flying pheasant. If your dog is solid
on its game then catching them shouldn't be an issue. You sound like your farther along than that.

Take a friend so you will have someone to shoot so (or if you need to) you can handle the dog.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Go to the Sandhills and get that dog on some Sharpies and Chickens.

Doug

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Go to the Sandhills and get that dog on some Sharpies and Chickens.

Doug
That's a better long-term solution if you can swing it. Then you can keep going back...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Most game farms also have chukar. They would be a better next step. Pheasants will run and a young dog on point can very confused. You don't want to go backwards in training.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Sharon wrote:Most game farms also have chukar. They would be a better next step. Pheasants will run and a young dog on point can very confused. You don't want to go backwards in training.
I totally agree with this, FWIW.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:37 pm

birddogger wrote:
Sharon wrote:Most game farms also have chukar. They would be a better next step. Pheasants will run and a young dog on point can very confused. You don't want to go backwards in training.

Charlie
We sometimes sleep pheasant for a young dog for that reason.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
birddogger wrote:

Charlie
We sometimes sleep pheasant for a young dog for that reason.....
Yeah, we do too. Nothing wrong with that, I just think Chuckers may be a better option at this point.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:04 am

Mercy!. Two people agree with me. I'd better quit while I'm ahead. :D I'm off to work at the jail where I know nobody will agree with me. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:12 am

Hey there Nebraska, I may have a place real close for this. On a variety of birds too, I am waiting to hear back. I can get a 1/2 day hunt with 3 birds killed for 100.00 per hunter if you would like this. If you just want to expose the dog you can get some flight trained quail or chukar and bring them out to my place, we can plant them in the wild part then control the dog as you work it. Shooting the bird can also be done on my place for retrieving.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:58 am

I will be taking my 3 year old (my sons pup) to a preserve this weekend for some bird exposure on wild and released birds. He has pheasant, quail and chukar so a variety of birds for them to point and I will shoot one or two for the retrieve. This tunes the dog up, next weekend is youth hunt and we have two nieces to take this year. Both have shot rock the past weekends and have taken the hunter safety course.

Cost is 35.00 for 1/2 hour or 50.00 for one hour. I am looking at Sunday or late saturday afternoon.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935