Storing / Discarding Birds??

mcclinj

Storing / Discarding Birds??

Post by mcclinj » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:36 pm

I had a hard enough time convincing my landlord to allow us to get a dog, let alone a storing / caring for live birds. Im thinking I may need to simply buy 2-3 birds a couple times a month, when training our new pup. Also, since I cant keep them....at the end of the day, do I just let them go, or kill them or what?

Sorry if this is a total newbie question, I read a lot about pigeon / quail coups, but that isn't really an option for me.

Appreciate the help,

-John

bhairhoger

Re: Storing / Discarding Birds??

Post by bhairhoger » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:00 am

When I was living in an Apt. I would just pick up birds on my way to the field. I was able to buy 3-5 at a time so it was no big deal. If I didn't use them all I would keep them in the bed of my truck. I had a cap on the bed so they were out of the elements and people would not be able to see them.

You could also find a person that has homing pigeons and rent the birds. I know a guy that would pick up a couple homing pigeons use them to work his dog and then they would fly back to the coop.
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

ArcticRetrievers

Re: Storing / Discarding Birds??

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59 pm

the other option is to talk to some Local Farmers with pigeon problems, and ask if you can set out a live trap for them, most farmers are Very agreeable. this way you get plenty of birds for free (the trap pays for itself in no time) and you can shoot them. Personally I trap pigeons right outside my work, and use them later in the evening. works well. Good Luck