"Break away"

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

"Break away"

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:46 pm

What methods can be used to improve break away speed for a cautious starter. Speed and range are great after the first find, and often even before but takes a couple of minutes to get the "stalking a bird - walk" out. I though experience would get it out, and now it's maybe only half the time, but the more excited before hand, the worse it seems...

nitrex

Re: "Break away"

Post by nitrex » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:06 pm

May sound crazy, but I know a few guys that are using clicker training and "targeting" to help a dog at the break away. It has really helped, but it takes some time.

Nitrex

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:27 am

Work him with a hard charger that will beat him to the bird you planted a good ways down a line, it will get him fired him and let you work on backing.

Neil

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:35 am

Kennel him for a couple of days. Take him out on the leash, blow your whistle and release him with an objective in sight and a bird in it. If he doesn't fly from the line, leash him and back in the kennel. Each day he gets one chance to come off the line flying with the whistle and back in the box. When he gets it right he gets the bird and gets to keep going. Repeat till he is consistent.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm

I wouldn't question any advice from you Slistoe, but do you think the dog will know why he is being put up? I 've seen people do this with their dog for a variety of reasons, and always wondered if the dog actually knew why....................
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:12 pm

It has nothing to do with the dog knowing why it was put up. It has to do with creating a situation where the dog will give us the behavior we want so we can reward it. If close confinement for a week straight won't have the dog flying off the line when the whistle is blown then the dog has bigger problems IMO.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Neil wrote:Work him with a hard charger that will beat him to the bird you planted a good ways down a line, it will get him fired him and let you work on backing.

Neil
Agree, and off ATV to push foreward.
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:40 pm

slistoe wrote:It has nothing to do with the dog knowing why it was put up. It has to do with creating a situation where the dog will give us the behavior we want so we can reward it. If close confinement for a week straight won't have the dog flying off the line when the whistle is blown then the dog has bigger problems IMO.

Thank you. I understand.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett