Is it time to start on live Birds?

Equivocator

Is it time to start on live Birds?

Post by Equivocator » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi,

I have a 11 week Vizsla. He is pointing a wing really well. Both on a fishing line and when I hide them. When is the time to start with a live bird? Also, What is the best bird to start with? I fear that he is going to get bored with the wings.

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Is it time to start on live Birds?

Post by snips » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:38 pm

No more wings:) I would get a slack flying quail to start with, and light plant it and let him find it and go after it...At that age I would want to build on desire..A pigeon might intimadate a little...Quail do not seem to overpower the younger ones, just get them excited.
brenda

Equivocator

Post by Equivocator » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks I will give that a try.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 pm

snips wrote:No more wings:) I would get a slack flying quail to start with, and light plant it and let him find it and go after it...At that age I would want to build on desire..A pigeon might intimadate a little...Quail do not seem to overpower the younger ones, just get them excited.

+1 I do like to use pigeons when I am sure they can handle the flush without fear...they are just cheaper than quail and easier to get during the off seasons.

Nitrex

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 pm

if the dog is pointing a wing now i wouldnt do that anymore as they can get bored of it. i use pigeons next and have had no problems with a young dog with them i have a 16 week old pup on pigeons and it is doing great with them.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Equiv,
At 11 weeks your V dog is just starting to get his feet wet in his learning environment, it would be best if you now leave the wing on a string alone. Let the pup mature, bond with it, and due some play training as the pup starts to learn. Play training at 11 weeks is all you should be doing, do not rush the pups maturity and stay away from
very loud noises at this age. Slow down and enjoy your pup, do not worry about planted birds for a while, take a walk in the woods with your pup, let him learn about his hunting habitat, he might just point you a wild bird.
RGD/Dave

Equivocator

Post by Equivocator » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks. I go on a walk with him every other day. I haven't got and live birds yet. I have noticed that he can be a bit jumpy with loud noises, and I have tried to stay away from that. What would a good time to start him on a live bird if you don't mind me asking? I am new to this so any info would be great. Thanks again.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:43 am

Equiv,
Again this all depends on the individual pup, I have seen some more than ready at 4-6 months, others may not mature enough till they are 8-10 months old or older.
The individual maturity of the dog is what matters, the pup must mature enough to understand what is going on, and what is expected of him. This happens
genetically at different rates for different breeds and most importantly different individual animals. While the pup matures do your play training, work in your commands,
accomplish some yard work and bond with the pup, so the pup understands you are the Boss dog and he must obey your commands. All this needs to happen before the field work/training starts. We recommend to our clients the Silent Method of Dog Training by the Smith boys, it even comes on a video and shows many of Delmars silent training techniques, which are excellent for handling bird dogs.
Good luck with your training
RGD/Dave

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:56 pm

IMO, the puppy can be introduced to birds anytime to build desire. It is never too early, again IMO, as long as it is kept fun and with no pressure. I agree that quail would be the best bird to use at this age.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way