looking for a youtube video.......

jimbo&rooster

looking for a youtube video.......

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 pm

on using launchers to estabolish point. so I have located some remote launchers that a guy I work with is going to let me borrow for a while. I also think that I have some pigeons located. My pup will point but he will only flash point then moves in for the flush. I have been running him where there are wild birds hoping that not being able to catch the birds will slow him but it hasnt. He will find the only bird in a 100acre field but that doesnt do me any good if he wont hold point. I just want to see what it is supposed to look like. should I lead him in on a CC? let him free range and launch the birds as soon as he points? id like to see some video that show kind of a rough idea of how it should look.
Thanks.
Jim
I used the search tool and couldnt really find what I wanted
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Tall Boy

Re: looking for a youtube video.......

Post by Tall Boy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Get him on a 25' c.c and let him quarter out in front until he gets in the area, then subtly shorten the distance on the c.c. and let him point. As soon as he establishes point, the next step he takes put the bird in the air. It is important that you do not contact the neck once he gets close to the birds, and is on point. You have to let HIM dictate what is going to happen, do not try and steer him to the birds or hold him on point. If you are ready to begin the breaking process, once he breaks to chase let him get a couple steps then stop him, go to him, and set him back up where he pointed and eventually try to work your way around in front of him. It's good to have a bird bag with a few quail so you can have a lay bird every once and while.

It's good to first bring him in up wind of a few, and launch them making him stop when the bird's in the air...stop to flush. It's a good way to teach stop to flush, and also a good way to introduce him to the birds. You can launch them, in the beginning, when he's around 20-30yds away so the trap springing doesn't bother him.

Good Luck!

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:47 pm

This guy and his wife have a nice series of videos. I really like his style of training. This is the one for intro to launchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2axEpV ... SqxmKr52Qg
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Bossman27

Post by Bossman27 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:46 am

I got my pup from Chad and Jodi (makers of those youtube videos). They are great, been following his advice and the pup is doing awesome.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 am

daniel77 wrote:This guy and his wife have a nice series of videos. I really like his style of training. This is the one for intro to launchers.

I just watched that video and all I can say is WOW what a way to take the "natural" out of a dog and lets add an annoying *beep* to make a dog mechanical. I have never heard any bird, wild or domestic, sound a *beep* just prior to their flush.

What a way to make pointing dog training more complicated than it needs to be. But I guess if it helps -one- person get their dog to a level they are happy with then it has its benefit

steingre

Post by steingre » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:40 am

The Perfect Start/Perfect Finish DVD's demonstrate the use of launchers pretty well. You will need a LOT of birds...the whole idea is as soon as the dog starts to make a move to the bird after establishing point...you launch the bird, and prevent any chase.
Last edited by steingre on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 am

Robert Wehle had a nice little bit of video of how he used launchers on Wing and Shot.

Not on youtube but a good watch to have, I got mine used on Amazon.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ralph

Post by ralph » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am

[
Casper wrote:
daniel77 wrote:This guy and his wife have a nice series of videos. I really like his style of training. This is the one for intro to launchers.

I just watched that video and all I can say is WOW what a way to take the "natural" out of a dog and lets add an annoying *beep* to make a dog mechanical. I have never heard any bird, wild or domestic, sound a *beep* just prior to their flush.

What a way to make pointing dog training more complicated than it needs to be. But I guess if it helps -one- person get their dog to a level they are happy with then it has its benefit
That is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen. Why would you need the dog to hear the *beep*.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I too didn't like the beep part of his intro, so I asked him about it in a comment on Youtube. He answered and I'm sure it could help with backing and such. The beep is no different from saying "whoa" if you think about it. Of course, no wild birds are going to beep first, but then wild birds don't come out of launchers either do they? Most People also don't prefer to hunt behind a dog that runs do dadgum far and fast that you have to be on a horse to keep up and have a GPS on him or he'll be gone forever, but some think that is the way to go. Each to his own.
He's using artificial things along the way to help him to his goal, we all do. I've never shot a bumper when hunting before, but my dogs better retrieve it anyway. I've never taken a cap gun hunting either, and don't intend to hunt a dog with a check cord for the rest of his life, but those may be steps along the way. Geez...
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 pm

daniel77 wrote:? Most People also don't prefer to hunt behind a dog that runs do dadgum far and fast that you have to be on a horse to keep up and have a GPS on him or he'll be gone forever, but some think that is the way to go. Each to his own.
This statement shows your ignorance on hunting behind a dog with range, sounds good to say it tho I guess. :roll:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Guilty as charged. We all look for different things. Doesn't mean any of us are wrong. If you hunted the same terrain that I do, you'd have absolutely no use for a dog 600 yds away also. You'd never find him again down here. Wide open spaces are different. Kinda like a hammer is a useful tool, but not for every job.

There really are some good guys on here eager to help each other out and discuss various things about dogs. And then there's a group of people so quick to condemn someone who doesn't follow exactly in their narrow little road. Seems their only purpose for being here is to show others how ignorant they are. I'm a very traditional kinda guy, but I like to think and understand why things are done also. Maybe that isn't for everyone.

Do good fences make good neighbors? Should we all drive the same make/model of vehicle? Small minds... And how does this tangent relate to the question asking for a youtube video? If you don't like my offering, why not offer up a better one?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:08 am

I live on the east coast, where its tight small fields and wooded, so I know a thing or two about jungle like woods, vast salt marshes and small fields cut by lots of wall like hedge rows.

Nobody is condemning you, don't even know where the "run off " statement came from on a thread about launchers. Your tangent.

enjoy what ya got and have a nice time, but blanket statements made from lack of experience or bias (not based on fact) will attract some folks who might disagree. Nice rant tho... :D

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:30 am

daniel77 wrote: Most People also don't prefer to hunt behind a dog that runs do dadgum far and fast that you have to be on a horse to keep up and have a GPS on him or he'll be gone forever, but some think that is the way to go....
Saddle up and watch a ferrari run, and you'll change your mind about that! FYI...no matter how far they range, they had better come back around or you havn't done your job. My walking horses are usually only walking...