Need Help Finding Birds

brentonlwin

Need Help Finding Birds

Post by brentonlwin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been visiting this site for a while and have read many threads but this is my first time to post. I started hunting pheasant and quail in KS about 4 years ago when I was 26. I am currently training my second GSP pup (first one turned out great but my uncle swears its beginner's luck :D ) Anyway, I had a good supplier for bobwhite to train with on my last pup but they only have young ones now. I have tried about 5 other suppliers within driving distance and so far no luck. Either they have stopped raising them or only have young ones. I live in Northern Louisiana and bird hunting isn't very big around here so supply is limited.

Can you have bobwhites shipped to you without paying an arm and leg? Can anyone recommend a supplier with good healthy fliers?

Thanks,

Brent

Jester

Re: Need Help Finding Birds

Post by Jester » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm

just dont know that your going to find fliers this time of year any resin you don't use pigeons? im about the same as the rest we have young birds but thats it. i do have some chucker that are starting to fly but its going to be a bit before they are ready

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:10 pm

You can find them Jester, I just sold out of 22 week old birds. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:00 pm

we have about 3000 week old bobwhites and 1000 4-5 week old chucker left

brentonlwin

Post by brentonlwin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:48 pm

I will take pigeons or whatever I can get at this point. I don't know of a source for them around here either. Quail have been easier to find. I just need to get some birds under this pups nose and we don't have wild birds around here. This time last year I had no problem getting adult bob whites but I guess I was just lucky. I plan on building a flight pen and getting set up to raise young ones but I am in the process of building a house and will be moving at the end of summer so I was waiting to get settled before building anything permanent.

I guess I could try to trap some pigeons. I have a place that I could try that. Has anyone else done that before?

boberosagundogs

Post by boberosagundogs » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I don't know anyting about your area but we run ads in the amish commmunity newspapers. The kids call us we tell them how many we need they catch and we pay a $1 -$1.50 per bird. We catch also from time to time our best luck in on rivers under bridges. We usually trian with alot of pigeons in the summer months most breeders won't have good flyers ready til August around us.
Bobeosa Gun Dogs-Professional Gun Dog Training
http://www.boberosagundogs.com