Walking on a leash, or Hunting on a leash?

Qwernt

Walking on a leash, or Hunting on a leash?

Post by Qwernt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 am

Well, Momo the French Brittany is getting a little better at not biting (that is going to be a long struggle). However, as a new dog owner/trainer and first time with a dog in suburbia, I have a question: Should I walk my Dog, or let her hunt?
When I read the generic dog training info & watch dog trainers on TV, a lot of them focus on "walk the dog", ie the dog should not be out in front. However, when I walk my little 9 week old puppy, she seems to be hunting, not walking. IE, she goes from "cover" to "cover", focusing on each large clump of grass, bush, or similar item and then sprinting to the next. In my mind, it sure seems like I don't want to curb the hunting appetite, so on my walks I have been letting her hunt to her hearts content. I still determine general direction, and keep the leash tight enough to keep her from eating rabbit droppings and cigarette butts, but other than that, we run together and we stop together - all depending on her nose.
At some point, I suspect I will want to be able to walk my dog (or my wife will) without stopping every 10 feet while she checks the latest bunny tracks. So I guess my question is: at what point should I start walking the dog instead of going for mini hunts. I am guessing after her first hunting season, but confirmation would be great (she likes biting so I am already a little worried about possible dominance in the future).
I guess I am somewhat assuming suburbanites walk their dogs, not hunt them down the street - in fact I remember a thread mentioning riding a bike with the dog for training. I am pretty sure at this point that would be a pertty big crash.
Any advice would be great. And yeah, she has a great nose and LOVES to use it - which to me is a VERY good thing.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Walking on a leash, or Hunting on a leash?

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:03 am

Teach your dog to walk at heel when commanded. If you want to hunt your dog, then get them out and run them off lead somewhere that it is safe to do so. They need to both learn to walk alongside and also learn to independently hunt.

mm

Re: Walking on a leash, or Hunting on a leash?

Post by mm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 am

I allow my pups to run off lead and hunt all they want at a safe training ground I have. I have also yard trained them to heal and make them obey the heal command when given. However now my dogs are a little older then yours the one that is with me all the time is 4. I take that one every other day and we walk she wears a harness and I allow her to pull foward as hard as she wants. I do not allow her to stop and smell anything and on these walks we stay in the road. I like to do this because it is great exsercise for her and also for me. It makes me walk much faster and wears her out. She loves to do this and sticks her head right in the harness when I pick it up. I dont think having the dog in front matters as long as you are in charge of the dog in all matters the dog will know you are the leader and this becomes just another exercise.
mm