Hunt Tests for Mix Breeds?

BrittGSP818

Hunt Tests for Mix Breeds?

Post by BrittGSP818 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there are any hunt tests for mix breeds. I dont need a title or a certificate that says my dog can hunt. I just want to run my dog with other dogs and enjoy the sport with people who enjoy it as well. I live in Los Angeles so I am sure there are groups that do these test through out the year.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

George

jlp8cornell

Re: Hunt Tests for Mix Breeds?

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:11 am

I would try and find a club in your area that might be willing to let you come to training days, etc. Good luck! What is the mix?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:45 am

Does your mixed breed look like a particular breed, to where you could get an AKC ILP number, to participate in hunt tests?

I'm not familiar with your area, but it looks like there might be a couple NAVHDA chapters around you. You couldn't test there with a mixed breed, but they might welcome you to train, if you have a pointing dog.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:20 am

If AKC Hunt Tests are what is available in your area, you can pursue an ILP. See http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm .

Basically, you dog has to be spayed/neutered and look enough like one of the accepted breeds.

Greg J.

BrittGSP818

Post by BrittGSP818 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks for all your replies everyone. He is a GSP and Brittany mix. Looks just like a gsp and is black and white (due to the french brittany genes in his sire). His tail is also docked and he can very easily pass for a gsp. I have tried to post some pics but file is too large. I will see if I can resize them.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I had a GSP/Brit that easily could have passed for a GSP and gotten the reg. for hunt tests. Give it a try :wink:
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:10 am

might have to do some checking but i believe if you have your dog spayed/neuterd you can get an LP registration with UKC and run events there but i cant swear to it
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm

So, can anyone tell me that they've ever been to a UKC pointing breed hunt test? The best that I can tell is that they are essentially non-existant.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:13 pm

went to one and watched but that was back when i lived in michigan the club there ran them quite often
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 am

I have a friend that has been to a couple. I know her younger Britts have passed the TAN test & one of her older dogs got the GUN title & another the HUNT title. She's in VA but I know she travels a lot for dog events. I believe she went to GA for one of the TAN tests given by the French Britt club.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 am

According to the UKC site, there are exactly 8 clubs total participating including one national breed organizations that overlaps local breed clubs.

See http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/PntClubs . Compare that to the clubs represented on the coonhound events page: http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/Eve ... und&Type=M . Get the picture?

I don't want to come across as an AKC bigot. I'm *not*. I just do not want to subtly mislead the OP, who is in California, about the availability of a format.