one for the retriever guys on here......

Sprig

one for the retriever guys on here......

Post by Sprig » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Had a good training scenario today with a lab i am training. Worked on a remote send with the dog. I wrote an article about it with video footage from today's session.

http://sprigkennelsandsupply.com/dog-tr ... ing-1.html

crackerd

Re: one for the retriever guys on here......

Post by crackerd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:14 am

I think "the retriever guys on here" would be a little confused at what you're trying to present here. At least one of us is. From your web site, you seem to be a pro trainer--or at least someone who takes in other people's dogs to train. If you're training as a pro, I wouldn't think it a very good idea to show that you're both the thrower for and the handler of the dog (i.e., remote send). Pros, if they're going to get most people's training fees, will have the bare necessity of of employing birdboys to throw marks for them so they can focus on the dog. Or use wingers at the very least.

Good for you if you're putting it up there to show that amateurs can train alone with a steady dog in throwing marks (i.e., remote send), but I would also recommend you take a good look at Dennis Voigt's new DVD http://www.ybsmedia.com/ plus check out a freebie from his highly regarded RetrieversOnline magazine http://www.retrieversonline.com/samplearticle.htm.

MG

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am

That was the intent, for the average guy training his own dog. I actually did use remote bird throwers but they were too far for the camera to see.

I will be doing more of these down the road with a hunt test style to them, with bird throwers and so forth.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 am

There was also one more intended result of this......to show how a dog progresses in a training scenario. i havent really seen any dog training videos that have shown an unscripted training situation like that and how the dog progressed from obviously not wanting to sit out there all alone to running a remote send just a few marks later. i felt that was missing from most mainstream videos, at least the ones i have seen, and i wanted to show how a dog can learn something with a little patience from the handler.

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:24 am

All i saw was a YL sitting and looking around- heck I train all three of my labs by myself- use hom,emade pistol and Lucky boy launchers- pasture and ponds- no problems- as for video- what was it?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:46 am

I feel you CAN create too many problems in a dog training as you do. One, there is no one out there for a six month pup to see. How do they learn to hunt the correct side of a gun and the area of the fall? Two, I WOULD NEVER have thrown that bird on land with a dog that was not de-cheated and had not been introduced to water. I want that dog to think the bird is ALWAYS in the water, so it doesn't start cheating the water to get the bird. Third, there is no value in a remote send with a young dog, and little with an older dog. As you know, remote sends have nothing to do with stanunchess on line. Once a dog is taken out of it's element, it becomes unsure and training can become easier. I always sent my dogs on an EXACT sequence, never altered, so they knew exactly when they were going to be sent. I don't believe I EVER had a dog break in a trial.

Do you force fetch and collar break your dogs? Seems that you don't from the statement on that post? Curious.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:13 am

I have to think you run hunt tests/trials with your dogs. I do agree that dogs that run those events do need to see throwers/bird stations, etc... but this dog will never set foot at a dog event so that isnt an issue. This dog will be getting a ton of marks with someone throwing the marks as it progress but for this one situation I didn't utilize throwers for the dog, didnt need to since the marks were very very short and easy for the dog.

I am curious about your statement, "remote sends have nothing to do with steadiness"....i feel differently and a dog is more prone to break when it isnt by ones side. I have seen that at hunt tests for many years and i have heard tons of complaints at the master level on remote sends because they felt it was a breaking test, due to the fact they were uncomfortable about having the dog "stay" in a remote position. add a short mark to a remote send and that will increase the dogs chances to break.

yes, i do force fetch my dogs and collar condition them. why?

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 am

I train alone and I do is leave my labrador, go 150 -200 yard with the dummie , and go back to send my dog . The next show in the video.

At the end is something else (a blind 500 yards in water).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IViSqLXJ-Y

Oscar CHávez

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Sprig wrote:
I am curious about your statement, "remote sends have nothing to do with steadiness"....i feel differently and a dog is more prone to break when it isnt by ones side. I have seen that at hunt tests for many years and i have heard tons of complaints at the master level on remote sends because they felt it was a breaking test, due to the fact they were uncomfortable about having the dog "stay" in a remote position. add a short mark to a remote send and that will increase the dogs chances to break.

yes, i do force fetch my dogs and collar condition them. why?
You're right, I was a field trialer. The next statement was made because I found that if you wanted to make a dog uneasy, just move away from it. They were less prone to break when they weren't in their comfort zone next to you. I used to work 20 dogs in a row on marks, each going by name only. They would actually doze off waiting their turn. If the dog breaks more readily on remote sit than at your side, it shows a worful lack of training and handler respect.

I asked about the ff and collar conditioning because of a statement you made about not using mechanical aids or some such thing.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.