house breaking driving me insane

dwilson

house breaking driving me insane

Post by dwilson » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:45 pm

We have a kennel that we use... puppy will go outside and pee, maybe a couple times... Then she comes in the house and pees on the floor a few minutes later. She is also really bad about doing #2 in the house instead of outside. We clean the mess up with nature's miracle and everything. I have never had a dog do this. No health problems or anything just seems to not get it.

Routine-

Kennel at night
out to eat in the morning and to potty and usually back to the kennel for a while
Outside and then in the house for a bit.
rinse and repeat...

She gives no signals like sniffing but will just suddenly bolt to another room and do it faster than you can turn around. Unfortunately with the layout of the house there is no way to really isolate her to a smaller area outside of the kennel.

I'm house broke tons of dogs but am at a loss with this one. Thoughts?

AzDoggin

Re: house breaking driving me insane

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 pm

She has a little more freedom than she can handle at this stage. If there's no way to close her in a smaller portion of the house, put a line on her and keep her near you that way. You might also consider increasing the rewards on peeing outside. When she pees or poops outside, praise her and give her lots of juicy treats. When inside, either tie her off to your belt loop or to something stationary. Trips outside every two hours or more often. Obviously, if you catch her in the act inside, scold her "no" but only if you catch her in the act. If she's closer to you, you'll be able to catch if/when she tries again.

Patience, treats, and Nature's Miracle, eh? Have fun! :D

Some just take awhile.

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm

so a new symptom... I noticed a bit of discharge tonight and darker colored urine. Time to go back to the vet and get some antibiotics this time.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

dwilson wrote:so a new symptom... I noticed a bit of discharge tonight and darker colored urine. Time to go back to the vet and get some antibiotics this time.
Man, good observation. I completely neglected the #1 first rule: make sure you've ruled out all medical causes. Maybe that will help you turn the corner.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 am

If she has UTI then that would explain the peeing but not the pooping.
How old is your pup?
When you say kennel do you mean a crate in the house at night or an outside kennel?
When you let her outside in the morning does he go potty at all before you feed her? PEE?
Do you go with her and watch to see if she goes potty?
How often do you feed your pup?
What times?
Are her stools solid?
Has she ever gone poop outside?

More info for you with your answers.

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 am

She is 14 weeks old.

I am referring to a crate in the house.

Yes, she is out at least once before being fed.

She will always pee when she goes out and I mean always. When she does #2 its probably 50/50 house/outside.

She is fed twice a day. Around 9am and again around 5:30-6 pm

It is solid and small like I would expect with the food she is eating.

We do go out with her 90% of the time and the rest of the time we watch out the window to make sure she goes. We are trying to go out with her 100% of the time and put her on a leash now to make sure she isn't just thinking that it is play time.(obviously the yard is fenced)

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:13 pm

not sure what happened
Last edited by Shadow on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:15 pm

dwilson wrote: I'm house broke tons of dogs but am at a loss with this one. Thoughts?
this statement alone leaves one wondering- you are asking??