Recommend a Pointing dog training book

mrcreole

Recommend a Pointing dog training book

Post by mrcreole » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:12 pm

I have bird hunted for years and trained dogs by trial and error. Please recommend a training manual. Smith, Wehle, Gun Dog? What do you all think. Many thanks....

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Recommend a Pointing dog training book

Post by BigShooter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Recommendations:

Sherry Ray Ebert Training Setters and Continental Breeds DVD & Perfection Kennels "Perfect Start" & "Perfect Finish" videos or DVDs.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Maurice Lindley has a brand new book out ... 724-898-9663 is Glad run Press number who prints the book...It is a very nice done book easy reading I recommend it...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 am

kninebirddog wrote:Maurice Lindley has a brand new book out ... 724-898-9663 is Glad run Press number who prints the book...It is a very nice done book easy reading I recommend it...
+1 for Mo's book http://gladerunpress.com/shop.html

I have read many training books and Mo's is layed out in an easy to read manner and his methods are proven.

Another good one is Bill Tarrant's book on Delmar Smith's method. The fundamentals of the two are very similar.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 am

Two others with philosophies similar to Delmar:

Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson

Bird Dog: The Instinctive Training Method by Ben O. Williams.

I haven't read the Lindley book yet - have to order it - thanks, Knine!!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 am

I second Bird Dog: The Instinctive Method. Love that book it stays in the bathroom and I browse it when I am doing some heavy thinking. :lol:

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:32 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I second Bird Dog: The Instinctive Method. Love that book it stays in the bathroom and I browse it when I am doing some heavy thinking. :lol:
You bet. "Going to the library to study, honey :wink: " :lol:

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Another big vote for Bigshooter's recommendation. I think the two best I've ever seen with the Perfect Start/Finish as
my #1 recommendation. I also found Bailey's "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" helpful, particularly for the early months

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Another big vote for Bigshooter's recommendation. I think the two best I've ever seen with the Perfect Start/Finish as
my #1 recommendation. I also found Bailey's "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" helpful, particularly for the early months

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:35 pm

ditto on what kmack said...Mo and Smith method parallel each other on a lot of things there are some differences. I ahve found quite a few books not super good for how we have to handle certain thing here in the deserts

Best thing is hands on stuff...AS the best Book out there is the dog itself as long as you get some guidance as to what you are seeing...

PS you are more then welcome to come down in the mornings and already get some hands on stuff ..I have plenty of volunteers :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jpasiczn

Post by jpasiczn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I want to train my dog for home and in the field. I am interested in a good training book that will help me with getting the basics of good home manners for a pup along with good field behaviors. I live in an urban area, so it can be difficult to obtain birds and find a huge open quiet space to train. Any recommendations?

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:31 pm

I have not read Mo's book yet but I would trust him based on his articles and input on another BB. I am a Smith SCS disciple and have used it for six or seven years. I just recently got his dad's book the old " Bill Tarrant's book on Delmar Smith's method" and I love it. It is pricey since it is out of publication and I had to buy it used over ebay. Aside from a few refinements that Rick and Ronnie have made, I recommend this book.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

I have found "Favorite Ways to Train Your Bird Dog" to be very nicely written:

http://www.reliableretrieving.com/Home.html