Helmet cam for training aid

Two Bears

Helmet cam for training aid

Post by Two Bears » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Have any of you used a helmet cam to video your dog while training or hunting?

I just picked up a Vholdr CountourHD Helmet cam for doing just this.
I think that it would provide a lot of neat footage while running the dog on planted birds and other drills. Also I think that it would mount to a shotgun or muzzleloader or bow to film your own hunts too.

Here is the link to the helmet cam web www.vholdr.com
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

Two Bears

Re: Helmet cam for training aid

Post by Two Bears » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 am

Anyone?

Do most that film training just use another person to do this for you?
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 pm

i have the epic cam that i use sometimes when i hunt. it will mount on my hat or on my barrel. i mainly use it for bow hunting through.
kick'em up knock'em down

EPointer=Birdss

Post by EPointer=Birdss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm

You might enjoy some of my clips...
Here's most recent - easily 20 more on my yt page...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LQYju1MCY

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 pm

I love mine - it'll be a feature on next season's TV shows ... 'A dog's eye view' ... it'll be mounted on Buddy.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks to this post I just bought the ATC3K cam from Oregon Scientific. Can't wait to get it in and start filming some training sessions so I can get some practice before next years bird season. Scott I never thought about mounting it to my dog but that would make for some excellent video. How do you mount it so that it will stay put and not move around when the dog is running? I think I might like to try that on my older pointer female.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 pm

Whats the price you paid for anyones I see they are about $250

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 am

I got the ATC3K for $90 with shipping and a 4gb memory card. It had been opened but never used because the sellers parents had gotten him the Vholdr Contour right after he bought it. The Vholdr is full 1080 HD quality and the ATC3K is only 640x480 but the ATC3K is waterproof to 3 meters and I was worried about the Vholdr holding up if I strapped it to a 12 gauge during hunting season. I had read reviews with the ATC3K about guys putting them in a plastic bag and jumping off of cliffs to get really cool scenes of the cliff dives and then the water coming up and going under the water as well. I figured if it could stand up to cliff diving and being strapped to the side of a crotch rocket motorcycle then it would be able to handle being strapped to the side of a 12 gauge.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:22 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I got the ATC3K for $90 with shipping and a 4gb memory card. It had been opened but never used because the sellers parents had gotten him the Vholdr Contour right after he bought it. The Vholdr is full 1080 HD quality and the ATC3K is only 640x480 but the ATC3K is waterproof to 3 meters and I was worried about the Vholdr holding up if I strapped it to a 12 gauge during hunting season. I had read reviews with the ATC3K about guys putting them in a plastic bag and jumping off of cliffs to get really cool scenes of the cliff dives and then the water coming up and going under the water as well. I figured if it could stand up to cliff diving and being strapped to the side of a crotch rocket motorcycle then it would be able to handle being strapped to the side of a 12 gauge.
It sounds like you got a heck of a deal there Tom. Keep us posted on how you like it. I would be interested in something like that myself. There is just no end to the things I just have to have. :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:45 pm

I will Charlie. I will put it through its paces before I report back. Good or bad. :D

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:09 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Thanks to this post I just bought the ATC3K cam from Oregon Scientific. Can't wait to get it in and start filming some training sessions so I can get some practice before next years bird season. Scott I never thought about mounting it to my dog but that would make for some excellent video. How do you mount it so that it will stay put and not move around when the dog is running? I think I might like to try that on my older pointer female.
Now, if I told you tommyboy, I'd have to kill you. Producer's secret! (Note to Pointer owners: Just kidding. That was a joke.)

Actually, I have a camera that was engineered for motorcycle helmets, mounts with straps/velcro/ratcheting rail system. We rig it on a heavy-duty dog vest (lots of rigidity so it will support the weight of the camera) ... took some experimenting, a few MacGiver-type solutions, but hopefully worth the trouble ... you be the judge next broadcast season!

Check it out: http://vholdr.com/
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

The only difference between the camera I bought and the Vholdr other than price is my camera is only a 640x480 rather that 1080i HD camera. I have several different mounting options, actually more mounting options with the ATC3K than with the VHoldr that is why I purchased it, that and price. I will have to try and get hold of a heavy duty dog vest and mount it. Guess I will have to McGyver something up as well. Thanks for the tip Scott.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Only problem with strapping them to you gun - you won't see your dog all that much... at least you don't usually want your gun pointed at your dog.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

I have a regular digital camera/video camera with a zoom that I can use for filming the dog. I got this camera also because the articles I read called it the "Jeep" of the video camera world and all the reviews and expert articles I read dubbed this camera almost indestructible. I got this camera mainly to strap to my guns, bow, and dogs. I am looking forward to getting it out and practicing with it.

I work 4 days and week, 10 hours a day and am off 3 days a week on Tue., Wed., and Thur. Just so happens the last month or so where I live every one of my days off the wind has blow anywhere from 35-50 mph even when it has been warm so I have not made it out yet to start experimenting with the camera or even run the dogs. If I can catch a break I am going to get them out and take the video camera along. I also plan to see how it holds up to being strapped to my Savage 111 .270 that I need to sight in. I figure if it will hold up to that then it can handle being strapped to a 12 or 20 gauge. I read articles of people cliff diving with the camera in a plastic bag in case they go deeper than the advertised completely waterproof to 10 ft. I also read of people skydiving with it and strapping it to the bumper of their 4wd jeep and going mudding with it. It should stand up nicely to hunting. I would have spent the extra money on the VHoldr but I wasn't sure how durable it was.